Help identifying possible issue

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a radioactive zoa and it's been in QT 2 weeks now. I never seen anything before but now I see what looks like filaments or branching antler looking brown strings grow off the coral and the plug. I'm new to coral so I have no idea what in the world it could be. Tried researching but all I can find is corals pooping or expelling (zoozee). They're opening like normal. This doesn't look like poop any advice would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20230604_121847.mp4
    29.5 MB

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
@ISpeakForTheSeas
IMG_7521.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know for sure, but I'd guess either a hydroid species (harmful/neutral) or a branching bryozoan species (beneficial/neutral).
I really wish I knew for sure. But thank you for your help. So if it is bryozoan is it beneficial? Will it grow a bush on top of my zoa and smother it?

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish I knew for sure. But thank you for your help. So if it is bryozoan is it beneficial? Will it grow a bush on top of my zoa and smother it?
Sorry I haven’t done enough research on these guys to know an easy way to differentiate them (short of busting out a super powerful camera).

Bryozoans are filter feeders that don’t have the capacity to sting, so they’re generally harmless or beneficial. If they’re bryozoans then the probably won’t grow on your zoas (I can’t rule out them growing into a bush like structure that smothers some zoas, but most branching bryozoans that I’ve seen tend to grow more like gorgonians, which shouldn’t cause any issues).

If you have a powerful enough camera/microscope available, you may be able to figure out which you have by taking a close look at the individual specimens (polyps or zooids) of the colony in question - the videos below give some idea for how to differentiate between hydroids and bryozoans based on look, motion, etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I haven’t done enough research on these guys to know an easy way to differentiate them (short of busting out a super powerful camera).

Bryozoans are filter feeders that don’t have the capacity to sting, so they’re generally harmless or beneficial. If they’re bryozoans then the probably won’t grow on your zoas (I can’t rule out them growing into a bush like structure that smothers some zoas, but most branching bryozoans that I’ve seen tend to grow more like gorgonians, which shouldn’t cause any issues).

If you have a powerful enough camera/microscope available, you may be able to figure out which you have by taking a close look at the individual specimens (polyps or zooids) of the colony in question - the videos below give some idea for how to differentiate between hydroids and bryozoans based on look, motion, etc.

Thank you for your input. I'll keep an eye on it and see what it does. The zoas still have 2 more weeks in qt so maybe it'll show more. I'll be watching this video you sent very shortly as I'm cooking at the moment lol

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't mean call on you everytime @vetteguy53081 but you have been amazing help time and time again. Any ideas? Or could you second Ispeakfortheseas on bryozoan?
Looks like Bryopsis pennata which is branch like and has to be removed by removing the root. As long as there is root structure, this will keep coming back. Safest removal is using tweezers and pulling each strand and removing the roots.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Bryopsis pennata which is branch like and has to be removed by removing the root. As long as there is root structure, this will keep coming back. Safest removal is using tweezers and pulling each strand and removing the roots.
It does resemble greatly. It's in qt with 10 other frags are they at risk? If I pull the strands can I put it right back in Qt or does it need to be in its own tank? Thanks always vette :)

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It does resemble greatly. It's in qt with 10 other frags are they at risk? If I pull the strands can I put it right back in Qt or does it need to be in its own tank? Thanks always vette :)
Not at risk- you just want to control them before they multiply

Upvote 0
OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at risk- you just want to control them before they multiply
Awesome! So glad I chose QT life over no QT. Even if a couple corals dont make it like my purple stlyo. All the polyps are bailing out and I can't figure out why but QT is where I learn so much so I'm here for the journey :)

Upvote 0
Back