Help Identifying this algae/bacteria

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have searched descriptions and photographs of various different organisms that grow in aquariums and cannot seem to identify this one in my 3 month old tank. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

There are only a handful of these sitting mostly on the flat surfaces of the rock that is under direct light. They are not growing or spreading very quickly.They are small, no bigger than a dime at the base. They are fuzzy like a cotton ball. They are not very stiff and will flap in the current a bit. They are all a very muted pale Brown. They look like little mountains with the base being wider than the top. Some actually look like Hershey Kisses

Attached is a photo of 2 of them. One in the foreground and one in the background

Can anyone help me identify these guys?

20210821_063001.jpg

Last edited:

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have searched descriptions and photographs of various different organisms that grow in aquariums and cannot seem to identify this one in my 3 month old tank. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

There are only a handful of these sitting mostly on the flat surfaces of the rock that is under direct light. They are not growing or spreading very quickly.They are small, no bigger than a dime at the base. They are fuzzy like a cotton ball. They are all a very muted pale Brown. They look like little mountains with the base being wider than the top. Some actually look like Hershey Kisses

Attached is a photo of 2 of them. One in the foreground and one in the background

Can anyone help me identify these guys?

20210821_063001.jpg
The photo isn't clear, can you try again? I’d like to help

Last edited:
OP
OP
spicymikey

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it is out of focus. That's why I tried to describe it as best I could. When I am at the tank later I will get a better photograph. Thanks!
Here is a more focused shot. Thanks

Attachments

• 20210822_123113.jpg
    20210822_123113.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210822_123302.jpg
    20210822_123302.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
spicymikey

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a picture of "Cotton Candy" Algae I found on www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

I saw this yesterday. The texture is right but its not pink, or even reddish. Its dull brown. Also, all the spots are tiny - dime sized at most but usually the size of an M&M. I don't think this is it but wanted to share a clearer photo There are more spots of it around the tank but its slooow growing and doesn't feel like its about to take over the tank, so I am leaving it there for now.

Attachments

• cottoncandyalgae_300x225.jpg
    cottoncandyalgae_300x225.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 20

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back