Help identifying this crab

  • Thread starter Thread starter jamesg128
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jamesg128

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 25, 2022
Messages
9
Reaction score
2
Location
Tallahassee
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Please see photo. I bought what I thought was an Astros snail, but when we got home it turned out to be this hermit crab. He seems to be white and fuzzy and bigger than the rest of my hermits. Is this guy safe?
IMG_5441.jpeg
 
Might be Pagurus acadianus?

I have had them and they didn’t harm corals, but holy crap could they run fast. Olympic sprinters and acted so weird/crazy.

I am not positive that is what it is but they were also white and larger so it came to mind.
 
Hello,
Please see photo. I bought what I thought was an Astros snail, but when we got home it turned out to be this hermit crab. He seems to be white and fuzzy and bigger than the rest of my hermits. Is this guy safe?
IMG_5441.jpeg
White legged hermit same thing happened to me baught two astrea snails and this was it lol took me forever to identify but yes white leg hermit :)
 
I would say not safe. @ISpeakForTheSeas
Paguristes tortugae; the Bandeye Hermit Crab:
https://invertebase.org/stri/taxa/index.php?taxauthid=1&taxon=76821&clid=33Edit: To add, they stay tiny (~0.5 cm/0.2 in full grown), so most likely safe. I have also seen these (or a very similar species) called the Caribbean Tan Leg Hermit. By the way, great pic for an ID, OP - you got all of the important ID characteristics in the pic (the legs, claws, antennae, and eyestalks).
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new