Help identifying Toadstool issue

Mendozau89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reef 2 Reef.

Ive had a white polyp toadstool for about 1 year now. Its always very full of water and very happy and white polyps fully extended.
About two weeks ago I noticed that it now stays closed during the day and opens at night when the lights are shutting off or it’s completely dark.
I’d say it opens about 75 percent of the way.
Besides it opening and closing at weird times it looks very healthy, very colorful and inflated with water. I see no signs of anything that would suggest unhappy coral.
I’ve done plenty of research and can’t find any helpful information.
All the other coral in the tank is always very happy.
All parameters are good, with phosphates MAYBE being a little high.
Any information to either help me understand that it’s fine and I should leave it alone or to shoot me in the right direction for a solution would be great.
I will attach pictures also.
Thank you Reef 2 Reef.
IMG_8036.jpeg
IMG_8035.jpeg

OP
OP
Mendozau89

Mendozau89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Can you get photos with white light and polyp extension?
Thank you for the reply. Here are some picture with the living room light on.
In the picture the tanks lights have been off for about an hour and the toadstool is opening up like at has been (at night instead of while lights are on like it used to) for about two weeks now.
IMG_8088.jpeg

IMG_8090.jpeg
IMG_8089.jpeg

OP
OP
Mendozau89

Mendozau89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a lot of natural light in the room. Does it ever get direct sunlight? Sometimes that would be the problem. Or. Something is nipping at it.
The tanks location in the room get no direct sunlight at all. Almost no direct sunlight in that room period. The light seen in the pictures is from living room lights I the turn on/off the little bit that I’m home in the afternoons. I’ve suspected something might be nipping at it so I visually inspect the coral as best as I can and there is definitely no bite marks, scratches or anything, it’s a beautiful, full, colorful an smooth stalk. I’m off tomorrow and will be watching this coral all day.
I just woke up and turned the lights on and it is 90%-fully open in complete darkness. It will stay open like this until the aquarium lights come on and then it starts retracting and then repeat. It’s been dosing this for 2 weeks now. Prior it was opening during aquarium light hours for months.
IMG_8092.jpeg

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back