Help IDing algae types

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached is a YouTube video of a couple different types of algae that is currently in my DT that is about 4-5 months post-cycle.

Help identifying would be appreciated...
1. I have some easily identifiable GHA in my refugium that I keep cleaning out. But, the video shows another brownish fine hair like algae... maybe cyano coming back again?

2. Several places of single, long strings of a tougher green algae. Its more course than GHA. Many on the forum use a toothbrush to remove algaes from rocks... this stuff is hard to remove even with a stiff bristled brush!

3. Final seconds of the video show my chaeto ball growing. Its grown from just a few strands after i already threw out most of it due to cyano infestations previously. Now, it has developed dark "seeds" and looks like GHA is infesting it. Best to toss and start from clean fresh chaeto? It seems to get covered with whatever algae is also growing on the refugium walls!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like hair algea and the sting things possible vetmid snails think I spelled that right.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like hair algea and the sting things possible vetmid snails think I spelled that right.

I would be surprised if the long stringy stuff were vermatid snails. It's hard to see in the video, but the strands are green algae-like... almost the thickness of a strand of chaeto. Also no "shell" at the base of the strand on the rock.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good point. I dint see the green but trust you. I also couldn’t see the base so was assuming.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 61 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 39 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back