Help ID'ing this nuisance algae/bacteria/organism addendum

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I posted the same topic however, the photos I was able to get were not that great. I have much better photos this time with a better description.

There is a reddish algae on a live rock. It does not blow off with a turkey baster. It feels slimy to touch. I can brush it off but before continuing doing so I would like to identify it to ensure it will not spread or harm anything. When I scrape it off with my finger (you can see the areas I scraped off, the rock shows. I did so to show the contrast between the rock and the whatever this is) I think it comes off looking kind of like dust. It grows over everything. Luckily it is only on one rock, I want to get on top of it before it spreads and frankly to make my zoa's happy again.

Any ideas? The photos are decently magnified. How do I get rid of it?

Thanks in advance.

3845.jpg

3847.jpg

3849.jpg
3851.jpg
3855.jpg
3861.jpg

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it doesn't blow off, I'm going to say an invasive sponge; based on your pics from the other thread, it doesn't seem to chemically be causing any harm, so the only thing to really watch for is if it grows over and smothers coral - if it doesn't smother corals (which it didn't seem like it was in the other thread), then it's a harmless (albeit invasively fast growing and spreading) filter feeder.

For anyone wondering, here's the other thread:

OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it doesn't blow off, I'm going to say an invasive sponge; based on your pics from the other thread, it doesn't seem to chemically be causing any harm, so the only thing to really watch for is if it grows over and smothers coral - if it doesn't smother corals (which it didn't seem like it was in the other thread), then it's a harmless (albeit invasively fast growing and spreading) filter feeder.

For anyone wondering, here's the other thread:

Sponges can grow in a film like this and how is the best way to remove? Should I brush it off and let the power heads push it into the water column and into the sump? Hit it with a toothbrush? CUC including fish CUC do not touch it. I even put snails on top of it and they just moved on.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks to be cyano or other bacterial but pics are quite dark to confirm. Please repost using white lighting for clearest id.

OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be cyano or other bacterial but pics are quite dark to confirm. Please repost using white lighting for clearest id.

I used a headlamp so I could highlight the area better. We are looking at the brown/yellowish funk. Thank you for suggesting using a white light,

3867.jpg

3893.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I used a headlamp so I could highlight the area better. We are looking at the brown/yellowish funk. Thank you for suggesting using a white light,

3867.jpg

3893.jpg
Looks like what is known as chrysophytes which is a thick slimy like substance which favors areas with low flow and even light.
It requires scrubing with a firm detail ot tooth brush in a container with tank water.

OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like what is known as chrysophytes which is a thick slimy like substance which favors areas with low flow and even light.
It requires scrubing with a firm detail ot tooth brush in a container with tank water.

OK, so do not brush while in the DT?

The tank is setup peninsula, I added two PHs on the side closer to this rock. Will the extra flow remove it or does it have to be done manually outside the DT?

It is my Zoa rock so if I have to remove it, it is the easiest/hardiest to remove and work on so that is good.

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges can grow in a film like this and how is the best way to remove? Should I brush it off and let the power heads push it into the water column and into the sump? Hit it with a toothbrush? CUC including fish CUC do not touch it. I even put snails on top of it and they just moved on.
Encrusting sponges can grow in films like this (often looking suspiciously like cyano when they do).

Regardless, the recommended treatment is pretty similar to the suggested Chrysophytes treatment above:
I would try the scraping with a steel straw/brushing with a toothbrush and siphoning out for that one in particular - if you can do this is a bowl of saltwater out of the tank (I don't recommend adding the water to the tank after) and rinse with clean saltwater (not from the bowl) afterwards, that would be even better.
Basically, if the sponges have enough food and enough trace elements (which for most sponges includes silicates) to meet their needs, then you’ll see their populations booming.

If you can figure out what’s allowing them to thrive in your tank, then you can deal with that root cause and get rid of them.

OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Encrusting sponges can grow in films like this (often looking suspiciously like cyano when they do).

Regardless, the recommended treatment is pretty similar to the suggested Chrysophytes treatment above:

I am reading about Chrysophytes on reef2reef. Other people's experiences. This week I started dosing Bac7 and a few other things. Seems like the best approach in this situation is to remove the rock, since it is on one siloed rock and manually remove as much as I can.

Will hydrogen peroxide brushed on the bare rock after removing with a toothbrush then rinsing off the peroxide before placing back in DT a good idea?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the rock, spent a bit of time cleaning the chrysophytes off the rock. I also hit some hydroids and other algae. Rock is back in the tank. Hopefully this will give the Zoa's room to grow like crazy and take over.

Thanks again for all the help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back