HELP IDK WHAT IM DOING WRONG

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally have no room for a qt. I have gotten all my fish from the same place my friends buys them from online (he's a dealer but I can't remember the company for the life of me) I've had him come over rmultiple times to check everything and says they are all looking really good. They die within 2 weeks. But once one dies they all die within the next day.... from everywhere me and him read it isn't ich bases on the look and how quickly is kills everything....
From what I see, I think ich/velvet is coming from the online dealer. IME online dealers don't qt so the fish can carry some parasites. IME, the only way to keep a saltwater tank is to always QT your fish no matter what. I had velvet in my early days of reefing, and it wiped out everything in my tank. QT is crucial when it comes to this hobby. If you don't have the time to QT, you can try to find local reef stores that QT for you. My local reef store qt its fish with copper, prazi pro, etc. They ship nationwide (US), but the shipping is very pricey. So looking for a local one would be a better option.

Now about your firefish. Your firefish doesn't have any symptoms of velvet or ich, no white spots, or powdery sugar look. Perhaps he has flukes, as Jay mentioned. You can try catching him and doing a Freshwater dip, but that is kind of hard with a small fish like that. Alternatively, you could go ahead and treat the main DT with PraziPro, which is a reef safe fluke cure. Your corals may retract for a bit, but they should open up again. If it is just flukes, you should be in the clear zone, hopefully, meaning that your fish are parasite free as I don't see any other symptoms present on the fish. Though these types of fish have a much thicker mucus so it is possible they are still masking the symptoms.

OP
OP
D

DrewM8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I see, I think ich/velvet is coming from the online dealer. IME online dealers don't qt so the fish can carry some parasites. IME, the only way to keep a saltwater tank is to always QT your fish no matter what. I had velvet in my early days of reefing, and it wiped out everything in my tank. QT is crucial when it comes to this hobby. If you don't have the time to QT, you can try to find local reef stores that QT for you. My local reef store qt its fish with copper, prazi pro, etc. They ship nationwide (US), but the shipping is very pricey. So looking for a local one would be a better option.

Now about your firefish. Your firefish doesn't have any symptoms of velvet or ich, no white spots, or powdery sugar look. Perhaps he has flukes, as Jay mentioned. You can try catching him and doing a Freshwater dip, but that is kind of hard with a small fish like that. Alternatively, you could go ahead and treat the main DT with PraziPro, which is a reef safe fluke cure. Your corals may retract for a bit but they should open up again.
That sounds like what I should start doing.... I have no problem paying more its one of those things where I literally just dont have room for a qt tank. The firefish is already seeming to improve. I am not expert but what are the chances my torch or hammer stung him? He does usually seem to hangout around the torch...

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like what I should start doing.... I have no problem paying more its one of those things where I literally just dont have room for a qt tank. The firefish is already seeming to improve. I am not expert but what are the chances my torch or hammer stung him? He does usually seem to hangout around the torch...
It's highly unlikely, I'm aware that the torch coral is capable of stinging fish and other coral using it's sweeping 'arms' but the sting would not look like that in the picture you showed and most fish should know when to stay in the clear. I have a yellow tang that likes to graze near my hammer coral I have yet to see a sting mark on him.

OP
OP
D

DrewM8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you recommend I do then? My wrasse sometimes may turn and go at the firefish but I haven't seen it ever like attack it or anything....

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you recommend I do then? My wrasse sometimes may turn and go at the firefish but I haven't seen it ever like attack it or anything....
If you're talking about a possible fight between the wrasse and the firefish, I don't think the wrasse attacked the firefish. I would lean towards more flukes disease which creates that bulge in your picture. If it was fighting it would be more fin/tail nips and tears. Which isn't present in your picture.
As I stated earlier you should just go ahead and treat your main DT with Prazi Pro, if you can get some. Prazi Pro should be available on Amazon or your nearby local fish store. Catching a small fish to test for flukes first would be too much of a hassle.

OP
OP
D

DrewM8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be better to catch and attempt a fw dip or treat the whole tank? I dont want to harm my corals and i know you said it won't but with my luck it'll kill all my corals....

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be better to catch and attempt a fw dip or treat the whole tank? I dont want to harm my corals and i know you said it won't but with my luck it'll kill all my corals....
The point of a freshwater dip is too see if your fish has flukes. It can provide temporary relief for the fish but it is not a cure. Prazi Pro is the cure for the flukes. So regardless you still have to treat your fish with prazi pro. I can assure you that Prazi pro is reef safe. I've used it many times in my DT without any effects on my corals. If you are still not sure you can read this old thread about Prazi pro from Humblefish. Hopefully, this can give you reassurance.

OP
OP
D

DrewM8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll head to the fish store tmo! Is there any disadvantage of putting prazi pro in my tank if there is no flukes?

OP
OP
D

DrewM8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp my medicine gets here tmo afternoon and I checked my firefish and the dot is substantially smaller like barely noticeable..... I would say practically gone but ever so slightly visible. Any thoughts?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back