Help! is my coral starting to bleach?

  • Thread starter Thread starter psott
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

psott

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 21, 2021
Messages
49
Reaction score
19
Location
GTA
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed some white edges on the encrusting coral and on the edge of my plate coral.

I recently added a second light to the tank so I'm thinking this may be the cause but I'm not sure this is actually a problem or is it just growing faster>?

Thanks for the tips!

20211005_125442.jpg 20211005_125712.jpg
 
That does not look like bleaching to me personally. Especially because the whites seem to be on the growth edge only and at least from what I can tell in the pictures the rest of the pieces seem fine.
 
Could be stress due to not being acclimated to new light. Or could be new growth. Only time will tell honestly. How long has the new light been on?
 
The new light has been on for about a week, when I had 1 it was running 100% on blues maybe 60% white. Since I added the second I dropped them to 75% blues and 25% whites and dropped them further to 60% blues yesterday fearing its bleaching but maybe its starting to grow faster>?
 
That could very well possibly be honestly only time can give you that answer having your lights down for a short period to monitor the corals shouldn’t hurt them. Maybe stress them but I’d say less is better than more. Till you find out if they are growing. Lights are a huge loaded topic. So the more research and knowledge you have about your lights the better. You tube can be your best friend. With the right peoples help. Par Meter is obviously going to be the number one answer. I’m assuming your parameters are all in check. Since you only mentioned the light change.
 
I found a LFS that rents par meters so I'm doing that next week, Thanks for all the helps guys.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new