HELP kid dumped bubbles in tank

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if we are overreacting. It's kids bubbles. Probably made safe for kids if they drink it. Probably makes extremely persistent micro bubbles so your tank will turn cloudy. I would run the skimmer really wet and dump it. I expect you could remove it that way just like Chemiclean. Run carbon.

There are countless items safe for kids(or adults) that can be very harmful to your tank. I have no idea if bubbles is one of them, but i would be making a big deal of it also.

OP
OP
Katepete722

Katepete722

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone in my tank right now.
a christmas story GIF

Ta2oodfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....I made a similar mistake. I left a filter sock on the slop sink and what I didn't know was that it obviously got contaminated by the washer draining and trapped a ton of soap. I did a sock change and minutes later had a ton of bubbles in my sump and tank. The skimmer overflowed with bubbles.

I scooped out all the suds by hand. Did a 50 gallon water change on my 180G FOWLR. Ran the skimmer and continued to empty the bubbles.

It went away, all fish survived.

OP
OP
Katepete722

Katepete722

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should add that homemade bubble solution (which this is not) is typically Dawn dish soap and water. Not sure if anyone can advise on the relative toxicity of Dawn for fish and corals. My bigger concern is that all this foam is going to pull a bunch of stuff out of solution and make the water unsuitable for the corals. Definitely big water change as soon as I can make/ source the water.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think regular non sented dawn dish soap is probably the safest when it comes to dish soap. So I’ve heard anyway.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't Dawn what they use to clean the birds and wildlife after an oil spill? I'm thinking that it's about as safe as it gets. Relax, baby steps... take pictures. You will be showing them to this child's future prom date someday.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 4 year old appears to have dumped 8 oz of kids bubbles into my 120 mixed reef. The sump is literally full of foam and the display is a cloudy mess. Nothing looks exceptionally ticked off. How should I proceed?
Like others have said use your skimmer.
I would very wet skim and replace water with fresh saltwater.
Maybe a gallon an hour. Should be suds at first.
Turn off ATO.
See if you can route the overflow into a 5 gallon bucket

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They use it for cleaning animals from oil spills .

Please don't equate cleaning up air-breathing animals with a well-protected epidermis to exposing fish and corals to soap. It's not at all the same thing.

Soap is HIGHLY toxic to marine life. Unlike us air-breathing organisms, their oxygen-extracting membranes (gills, etc.) are exposed DIRECTLY to the outside environment. When soap and other detergents get into the water column, they cause bubbles to form on the gills, binding up available oxygen and damaging the sensitive membranes. In addition, soap will break up the protective slime coating of fish and can damage cell walls. Marine organisms rely on the fact that oil and water don't mix to create their cells walls. The primary function of soaps and detergents is to make oil and water mix.

When you wash a duck in Dawn, you're not getting soap all over its lungs. You're washing feathers - which are inert - and skin - which has evolved to deal with the more demanding environment of atmosphere vs. ocean. It's not at all equivalent.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't equate cleaning up air-breathing animals with a well-protected epidermis to exposing fish and corals to soap. It's not at all the same thing.

Soap is HIGHLY toxic to marine life. Unlike us air-breathing organisms, their oxygen-extracting membranes (gills, etc.) are exposed DIRECTLY to the outside environment. When soap and other detergents get into the water column, they cause bubbles to form on the gills, binding up available oxygen and damaging the sensitive membranes. In addition, soap will break up the protective slime coating of fish and can damage cell walls. Marine organisms rely on the fact that oil and water don't mix to create their cells walls. The primary function of soaps and detergents is to make oil and water mix.

When you wash a duck in Dawn, you're not getting soap all over its lungs. You're washing feathers - which are inert - and skin - which has evolved to deal with the more demanding environment of atmosphere vs. ocean. It's not at all equivalent.
Agreed the soap on dish soap is sodium laurel sulfate NOT something you want in your tank!

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed the soap on dish soap is sodium laurel sulfate NOT something you want in your tank!

I mean, ANY soap is not good, but yes, SLS would be one of the worst things to get into a reef tank. Nitpick, technically SLS isn't a soap or even a detergent, but a surfactant. It has no cleansing properties whatsoever and its entire purpose is to make bubbles.

No, I don't sell soap for a living, why do you ask?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubblestuff is pretty diluted, then 8 ounces into 120g, plus sump.
Don't add anything else to try to remedy, except fresh saltwater.
Your fish will be ok.

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 4 year old appears to have dumped 8 oz of kids bubbles into my 120 mixed reef. The sump is literally full of foam and the display is a cloudy mess. Nothing looks exceptionally ticked off. How should I proceed?
Awwww.... cutie pie!! Big hugs to your kid, Katepete722. Sending you tonnes of sud-less wishes. Hopefully you managed the crisis and now have a dinner-story to laugh at. We have all been there, on both sides of the table. O-O.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nowhere did I recommend or imply it being ok to use in a aquarium ....

OP
OP
Katepete722

Katepete722

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awwww.... cutie pie!! Big hugs to your kid, Katepete722. Sending you tonnes of sud-less wishes. Hopefully you managed the crisis and now have a dinner-story to laugh at. We have all been there, on both sides of the table. O-O.

He was dying to play in the foam party. From his perspective he made a pretty ballin bubble bath! Poor kid is super bored in quarantine. I’ve got great ammunition wants he starts getting mad at me as a teenager

OP
OP
Katepete722

Katepete722

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Thanks to everyone for the help!! I’ve got the skimmer running and rigged the overflow of foam into a bucket. Auto top off is topping up with saltwater. The fish all seem pretty comfortable and the corals that were doing well before this mess look fine. Big water change tomorrow.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back