Protein skimmer making micro bubbles in display HELP!

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a curve 5 bubble magus protein skimmer, and in the spot in my sump it has been fine skimming until I made some new rock work and used epoxy and it started going crazy. To be expected as I read, however it is 4 days later and it still is and I tried raising it a couple inches with a Tupperware and nothing. I noticed it making bubbles out of the piece at pulls water into the motor, it’s confusing. I tried taking it apart and cleaned it today and nothing. Anyone have a similar problem and can throw some suggestions? Nitrates and phosphates are rising with it not on for 4 days
IMG_3170.jpeg
IMG_3174.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3172.mov
    12.3 MB
OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do that when it’s not broken in or haven’t used it in a while. After a few hours, it stops
Was it after you cleaned it? Or did you add an epoxy to the tank? I ran mine all day and night and it didn't correct itself and I have taken it apart 3 times now, and put it together per the manual.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also sent an email to customer service of Bubble Magus because I am so confused and lost and can't find anything on this. Not sure what would cause back pressure to push bubbles down past the plate instead of up to the cup.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Was it after you cleaned it? Or did you add an epoxy to the tank? I ran mine all day and night and it didn't correct itself and I have taken it apart 3 times now, and put it together per the manual.
The epoxy is making it overflow. My RO elite 200 INT will do it after cleaning, or if I haven’t used it in awhile.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The epoxy is making it overflow. My RO elite 200 INT will do it after cleaning, or if I haven’t used it in awhile.
Could that be the reason for it almost making too many bubbles and forcing them down and into my water through the venturi as well? Trying to see if I have a bad part I need to replace because I want to get my skimmer back up and skimming as soon as possible because I am a heavy feeder by heart. ALso whenever I just let the skimmer run and let the bubbles go crazy and go into my display I start to notice my fish hide and not come out which I don't like so I turn it back off.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by "Nitrates and phosphates are rising with it not on for 4 days"? Why is it not running? It should be running to pull that stuff out.

Depending on how much epoxy you used, it can make the skimmer go nuts for a few days, its doing what its supposed to. The last time I used reef cement it took about 3 days for the skimmer to settle down.

Keep emptying the cup, or do water changes, it will continue as long as residue is in the water. Which is a good thing.

By the way, a skimmer does nothing to reduce or prevent phosphate, need different tool for that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by "Nitrates and phosphates are rising with it not on for 4 days"? Why is it not running? It should be running to pull that stuff out.

Depending on how much epoxy you used, it can make the skimmer go nuts for a few days, its doing what its supposed to. The last time I used reef cement it took about 3 days for the skimmer to settle down.

Keep emptying the cup, or do water changes, it will continue as long as residue is in the water. Which is a good thing.

By the way, a skimmer does nothing to reduce or prevent phosphate, need different tool for that.
Ye I meant nitrates, but It's getting to a healthy number in my opinion, everyone I see keeps them lower but I have only 1 sps frag and all my other corals do way better the more nitrates that show up on my tests. Also, I used 2 tubes of JB Water weld epoxy so a decent amount, however, it hasn't been running because I could not stand the bubbles in my display but I took someone's advice and filled the baffles with filter floss and it not making up to my display, however still is overflowing, but it should go away sooner than later I hope. I also plan on going and getting a fresh bag of carbon to run to try to pull all the gunk out.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have to use Brightwell Phosphate-E to lower my phosphate about every other week I will bring them down. They run about 0.25ppm and nothing is upset, But with the tank being new doing my best to manage them.

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can, do you think that would stop it?
From the moment I turned my skimmer on it produced micro bubbles. Even after the break in period it still does it but not as much. I bought foam (might be the wrong word but you get it) pads from Amazon. It took a couple different ones to find the right density pads. But it definitely keeps the micro bubbles from making it to the display tank.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye I meant nitrates, but It's getting to a healthy number in my opinion, everyone I see keeps them lower but I have only 1 sps frag and all my other corals do way better the more nitrates that show up on my tests. Also, I used 2 tubes of JB Water weld epoxy so a decent amount, however, it hasn't been running because I could not stand the bubbles in my display but I took someone's advice and filled the baffles with filter floss and it not making up to my display, however still is overflowing, but it should go away sooner than later I hope. I also plan on going and getting a fresh bag of carbon to run to try to pull all the gunk out.
2 epoxy tubes in one tank is a lot of epoxy. Keep running the skimmer and keep emptying the cup, The skimmer is pulling that stuff out of the water, carbon won't do it, only the skimmer or water changes.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to make an update for whoever may have the same problem as me in the future. I am running a bubble magus curve 5, and I used two tubes of JB Water Weld epoxy. It threw my protein skimmer through the ringer. I experienced overflow, but also it was creating so many microbubbles they were coming out of the venturi and the adjuster port and going into my display. After filling my baffles with as much filter floss as I could without causing the baffles to not work anymore to contain the microbubbles to stay in my sump I picked my favorite carbon (chemi-pure elite) 2 bags in my filter sock. After 2 days of that, the overflow started to slow down, to a dribble, I then put on the skimmer cup and emptied it 2 times a day to pull out gunk (even though it was clear and looked to be just water). Now my skimmer is back in action and no more overflow and is dialed back in, as well as the overflow of microbubbles in the compartment it stopped and it is creating enough bubbles to just go up through the neck. I hope this can help someone in the future and patience with it is key, Don't be like me and submit a claim on Bubble Magus Customer Service on day 2, just let it ride through. Happy reefing!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back