Help! Lost three fish in three days!

FloridaGal762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help!

My tank has been running smoothly for about 6 months. No real issues.

Two days ago one of my pajama cardinals was dead. Thought- odd, but not much else.
My goby has been acting a little strange lately- not coming out to feed like he was, but just ensured I was getting food near him. Again, not much else thought.
Today, I found my algae blenny (a solid workhorse!) dead.
I also noticed today that the goby is nowhere to be seen. I even stirred up the sand in the area he and his candy cane shrimp live in and nothing. Assuming he is dead way under the rock.

Only thing new to tank are a dragon head coral and a candy cane coral (added 10 days ago).

Tested water this morning and I don't see much off but I am still new and not anywhere close to really knowing how all the water chemistry works. Need help!

Salinity was 35.8 ppt (35.0 is what my meter states is ideal). I added some RODI. Now at 35.0
Temp 78.8
Ph 7.6 (little low)
Alkalinity 8.3
Nitrite 31 ppb (0.031 ppm)
Nitrate 5.00 ppm (a little high but I thought under 20 ppm was ok)
Calcium 442 ppm
Phosphate 0.90 ppm

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Generally, when fish die and the invertebrates are all still fine, the issue is a contagious fish disease, not a problem with the water. It is possible that the most recent corals brought a fish disease into your tank. If the store kept fish with their corals, and if those fish had a disease, then the corals act as "fomites" and can carry active disease into your tank.

Are there any fish that are NOT affected? Can you check them closely for spots or rapid breathing? I hate to say it, but once fish loss from a disease starts, it is very difficult, often impossible to stop things before more loss occurs.

Jay

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More experienced people will chime in but from me, your stats don't seem all that bad. unless there was sudden movement on any, temp, etc. I would expand to look for any other issues, electrical or contamination. Anything get too close, with Covid, any tank work just after sanitizing hands, that kind of stuff, chemical. Seems awful sudden. Were there signs of stress or disease?

OP
OP
FloridaGal762

FloridaGal762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- the goby is alive. He just showed himself. Still odd for him to not be out more but happy it's only 2 fish.

Hi,

Generally, when fish die and the invertebrates are all still fine, the issue is a contagious fish disease, not a problem with the water. It is possible that the most recent corals brought a fish disease into your tank. If the store kept fish with their corals, and if those fish had a disease, then the corals act as "fomites" and can carry active disease into your tank.

Are there any fish that are NOT affected? Can you check them closely for spots or rapid breathing? I hate to say it, but once fish loss from a disease starts, it is very difficult, often impossible to stop things before more loss occurs.

Jay
Jay, I certainly hope there is no fish disease. The coral came from a private dealer. I did coral dip before I put them in my tank. The tank I saw them in only had coral, no fish. Does that mean anything?

OP
OP
FloridaGal762

FloridaGal762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More experienced people will chime in but from me, your stats don't seem all that bad. unless there was sudden movement on any, temp, etc. I would expand to look for any other issues, electrical or contamination. Anything get too close, with Covid, any tank work just after sanitizing hands, that kind of stuff, chemical. Seems awful sudden. Were there signs of stress or disease?
No signs of anything. I am a soap and water girl, so no sanitizer. Everything has been pretty stable which is why I am surprised- especially about the blenny. He is a workhorse, solid fish and always very active and all over the tank.

Both fish were found dead in the same place in the tank- under my powerhead. The powerhead has a foam cover on it, but when you mentioned electrical it made me think that. It is a Vortech and there are no wires in the tank. Its new- I have had it about two months. The current may also have blown both dead fish to that area too so there may not be any connection.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I even check that?

While that can happen, again, you would see some effect on your invertebrates. There are literally NO contamination issues that will harm fish and leave the inverts completely healthy - except rotenone that is used by biologists to sample fish in nature. If you are having problems with the inverts, then yes, you need to delve into this further, otherwise it is a fish-only disease issue.

Jay

OP
OP
FloridaGal762

FloridaGal762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While that can happen, again, you would see some effect on your invertebrates. There are literally NO contamination issues that will harm fish and leave the inverts completely healthy - except rotenone that is used by biologists to sample fish in nature. If you are having problems with the inverts, then yes, you need to delve into this further, otherwise it is a fish-only disease issue.

Jay
Ok. I just I will just be patient and watch what happens.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should check the goby carefully for spots, eroded fins or rapid breathing.

Jay

OP
OP
FloridaGal762

FloridaGal762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should check the goby carefully for spots, eroded fins or rapid breathing.

Jay
I will try. He is usually under the rock with his paired shrimp. I hardly see him- only at feeding time in the morning which is why when I hadn’t seen him for a few days I was concerned.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 59 55.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back