Help Me Adjust My Reef Dynamics INS80 Skimmer

  • Thread starter Thread starter justonwo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

justonwo

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 8, 2015
Messages
211
Reaction score
52
Location
Albany, California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked online for a manual, but it appears this company is no longer in business and I haven't been able to locate any instructions.

I have a Reef Dynamics INS80 (I think that's the model) which, as far as I can tell, has two adjustments. One is the telescoping overflow tube coming out the side of the main chamber. The other is a needle valve on the air inlet.

What principle do I use to guide the adjustment of the overflow height? Am I just trying to get the water level inside the chamber right up to the neck? And then do I simply adjust the air needle valve to get the proper amount of bubbling into the cup?

Here's a photo of the skimmer in question. The air adjustment is out of view but the overflow can be seen clearly on the left. The only adjustment is to lengthen or shorten the telescoping tube.

skimmer.jpg
 
Last edited:
I've got an INS180, which is slightly different, but I assume the principle is the same. The instructions that came with mine said 1) adjust the overflow valve so that the foam is midway up the neck. and 2) only use the needle valve only if you're getting more foam than can be controlled. I never even bothered installing the needle valve.

Also you can pull up what info there was for your skimmer via archive.org. I recommend watching the LA Fish Guys video's they had linked from the site, they're kind of long but they cover a lot of the theory on how their skimmers work.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 14.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new