Help me catch......

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....the Gorilla Crab in my tank. Or what ever it is. I showed a few pix today to my LFS, he said it's most likely a GC, I've already noticed today when swapping to flake food to froze Hikari Spirulina, Mysis, Shrimp my tank exploded, the clowns were way more active, the Blood shrimp was going nuts chasing food and for the first time, the elusive crab came out of hiding, I couldn't get a net on him so I need an alternative. I noticed some of the antennas on my Blood/Fire shrimp look a lil short and chomped. I need this guy GONE.
Thanks.
Gcrab.jpg

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can lean a glass up against the rock at a 30-45 degree angle, and put some sinking food in it. Do this at night so that the fish won't take the bait. When it falls into the glass, it won't be able to get out. You can remove it at leisure. I hope that this helps!

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
%Can you move the rockscape?
I knew I had 2 crabs in there when I set the scape up. But originally I put it to close to the glass so I had to rearrange. I never saw him and I had every piece out of the tank and 90% of the water too. He's an elusive lil F^@%#!

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can lean a glass up against the rock at a 30-45 degree angle, and put some sinking food in it. Do this at night so that the fish won't take the bait. When it falls into the glass, it won't be able to get out. You can remove it at leisure. I hope that this helps!
I'm going to try this tonight and sit on my couch all night lol.

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I don't want to hurt him, he was so full of life when I got him, now he's so timid and I saw the Jerk Crab and him have a lil confrontation today over food. The crab never comes out, but he did today.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my fire shrimp is the same way. Pretty sleepy. My shrimp would probably keep going in the glass, no matter how many times I pour him back in the tank. The shrimp would be able to get out, he would just eat all of the bait while he was there.

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my fire shrimp is the same way. Pretty sleepy. My shrimp would probably keep going in the glass, no matter how many times I pour him back in the tank. The shrimp would be able to get out, he would just eat all of the bait while he was there.
Oh boy, I think I'm going to need more beer.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You"ll get him eventually. If you are watching the glass, do so with a red light. They can't see the red, but they can see the light from the normal flashlight. Or, you could just leave it overnight. Some crabs are too smart for the glass, but you can try a bottle trap if it doesn't work within a week or two. Just cut the top off of a soda bottle, take off the cap, and put the cut off piece back in the bottle, inverting it. Bait the trap with any food, and leave it overnight. It can crawl through the hole, but it shouldn't be able to get out. Here's a diagram. The glass cup should work eventually, but you can try this if it doesn't.

1650115158903.png

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back