This is my very 1st salt/reef tank. Began 3-29-22

JBJ Nano RL 20 w/ JBJ stand.
Eheim TruTemp 100W
Inkbird ITC-306A
Tunze Nano ATO
IM MightyJet Desktop.
AI Prime 16HD
AI Nero 3

Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock & Live Sand 20 lbs. of each.

Start, TBS LR/LS to skip the ugly stage and cycle quicker. I ordered 20/20, little too heavy on the sand and light on the rock. The LR/LS is absolutely amazing and brimming with life. I saw 2 small crabs, a couple tiny snails and what appears to sponge and possibly corals. The TBS LR/LS came well packed in water. Flown in, airport was a breeze, something I was dreading. My only regret with the rock is I didn't order a few more pounds. But I plan on a back wall rack for a polyp style, flame tip or neon.

Creating the scape was interesting I laid it out, took pix but it didn't come out exact. (do they ever). Needless to say I'm pleased, I left cracks & crevices for fish, and offer plenty of shelving for corals.

Everything was up and running Tuesday night the 29th. After looking at a bare tank, Thursday, I decide to grab some water and head to my LFS, all parameters were spot on so I picked up 3 Trochus to get to work on the rocks, I would've liked a few more but they were out.

So far I'm very pleased with my new tank. Plans are to add a couple clowns, some sort of sand sifter and maybe another reef friendly mild mannered species that'll remain somewhat small. Coral goals are the easy ones, I'm not looking at SPS or even LPS, just want simplicity with a touch of beauty in my own lil corner of a reef.
Thanks for checking out my build, comments & critiques are welcome.

rock1.jpg

rock2.jpg

well packed.
scape1.jpg

brittle.jpg

Added sand and a few of these popped up
tank2.jpg
tank3.jpg
tank24hrs.jpg

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished up the stand this morning, I despise wiring, cables and whatever have you thrown all over. It's not perfect but it's at least neat.
stand.jpg

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I'm looking forward to what lies ahead. I'm going to pick up 2 lil clowns today and a few more snails and other CUCs.
Nice! Make sure you’re cuc is getting enough food. Often neglected. Enjoy your shopping!

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, had to move the rock formation around because I couldn't get the scrapper in-between the rocks and the glass. OMG, I struggled and just couldn't get it back to where it was. But I love the new look and the way it came out. So many more caves and caverns.
Noticed what appears to be a lil green hair algea.
new rocks..jpg

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropped this li guy in there last night with 2 black onyx, perc clowns, they're gorgeous but difficult to photo, as for now they seem to be just hanging in the top left corner of the tank. I added a few more Trocs and 3 Nas, going to do a coral order next week.
Fire.jpg
clown.jpeg

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a real time scare this morning...woke up and found my blood shrimp had molted, I nearly $#!* my pants thinking he was a goner, due to that gorilla crab I'm battling with. But the crab has become more visual today and I'm getting closer to catching him.

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a real time scare this morning...woke up and found my blood shrimp had molted, I nearly $#!* my pants thinking he was a goner, due to that gorilla crab I'm battling with. But the crab has become more visual today and I'm getting closer to catching him.
I had got myself a blood shrimp and 4 days later i saw it near some rocks looking like it was dead, turned out it had molted. I am new to the hobbies and did not realize they molted. I think he ended up eating himself 3 days later the shell was no where to be found.

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today marks a little over 5 weeks. Progressing extremely well, most may cringe at this, but I have yet to do a water change of any kind, just my ATO that adds distilled water. Hopefully I didn't just jinx that. Paras are spot on.
Added a few corals about 3 weeks ago and they're doing great, last night I added another small frag of Zoas, a Hammer and an Acan. These pics are taken less then 24 hours later. Sometimes this Zoa closes up when the clowns, snails or shrimp ride over them, but they are very healthy as well.
ToxicGreenHammer.jpg
UGAcan.jpg
Zoa rock.jpg
Ducan.jpg

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a brief update, tank is going on 8 weeks this coming Tuesday. Corals are thriving, snails are keeping busy my 2 clowns and fire shrimp are healthy. I'd like to add maybe another fish or 2 but afraid the clowns being the only ones in there may not welcome a newcomer.
The live rock and live sand have become a chore with unwanted hitch hikers but we're winning the battle. Good quality rock n sand from TBS, but after removing 4 gorilla crabs, one rather large, two very small that crawled out of a rock while I was gluing a frag and the last one about the size of my thumb nail that I've been hunting for a couple weeks. I noticed him when I was again, gluing a frag, I saw something scurry back into a hole in the rock and knew it was him. A great sigh of relief. I'm waiting for a lens kit so I can get some good pix, but here's Mr. Crabs Jr.
MrCrabsJr.jpeg

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and similar livestock and coral stocking. Curious to see your progress?!
Tank is coming along extremely well. Current livestock is as follows, 4 Acans, 2 Hammers, 1 Blasto, 1 Dunc, a Zoa garden with mixed colors, a crop of Pulsating Xenia, clove polyps (behind the Xenia) and just added a Purple Stylophora.
Tank & SPS pic was taken last night after a cleaning and water change, I have a hard getting whole tank pix I'll post up current shots later this evening, But here's a couple of my favorites.
SPS.jpg
ZoaGarden.jpg
Duncan.jpg
T1.jpg

Kittypowpow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Woah! I love your rock layout and how you have all your corals arranged! I also love your clowns! I’ve been looking at them for a while and haven’t seen a black and white but with an orange face. Those are very unique! I hope my tank matures half as good as yours did!

OP
OP
Titleist1964

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah! I love your rock layout and how you have all your corals arranged! I also love your clowns! I’ve been looking at them for a while and haven’t seen a black and white but with an orange face. Those are very unique! I hope my tank matures half as good as yours did!
Here's a decent picture of the clowns. They're tough to get a shot of.
Screenshot_20220727-115347_Photos.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back