Help me choose a controller

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to find a good site that allows you to compare controllers or really tells you everything the controller is capable of. If anyone knows of a good site please let me know. In the meantime I thought I would post a list of everything I want the controller to control. If I can save a few hundred dollars I would prefer to get one of the RK lite or Apex junior however, depending on my list this may not be possible. I have 2 mp10w's and will probably be getting the Radion so I will most likely not be using the controller for powerheads or lights.

Here is the list:
  • Heater/temp
  • auto topoff
  • PH
  • return pump
  • on and off protein skimmer, GFO reactor, Carbon reactor
  • Possible bio pellet reactor and calcium reactor in the future
Let me know if you can think of anything else I may want to add in the future. Again, I would prefer the RK lite or Apex Junior and if either of these offer a better bang for your buck option.

OP
OP
A

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By all means please follow!

Updated list ( I just thought of something else I will need the controller for)

Here is the list:
  • Refugium light
  • Heater/temp
  • auto topoff
  • PH
  • return pump
  • on and off protein skimmer, GFO reactor, Carbon reactor
  • Possible bio pellet reactor and calcium reactor in the future

sirevans reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the apex. This seems to be the best controller for the money and it will do all that you have listed and so much more. If you go to you-tube and check out mr. saltwater tanks video's and he has a nice one on the apex controller. I found a comparison chart once just by goggling saltwater tank controllers.

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want alarms sent to you by text or email. You will want the apex lite not junior as it does not have the extra power port to put on a battery backup.

Also you can not control a float switch with jr as it does not have an io port for either a breakout box or the new avast top off kit

If you for sure you want to run a ca reactor get the full apex as it comes with two ph ports. Lite has only one and you will new to buy a pm module to add a second ph port

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RacinRevo0818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the apex junior, pm1 for ph probe, ph probe, wxm module, and a energy bar 8. Nobody had the full apex in stock that I could find. But I basically paid $50 more then full apex but can control my mp10's and have 12 controllable outlets. Seems like a far trade. Just was looking at the battery back and really that's the only thing I won't have. Just going on a 50g cube so nothing fancy.

OP
OP
A

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have narrowed my decision down to to the Apex lite or RKL 3. What is the differnce between the 2 other than maybe 100 bucks? I believe the Apex comes with email/web funtionality and the RKL requires the purchase of and additional module? I also see that the Apex does not come with with a PH probe however, it looks like the RKL 3 comes with a PH probe? I want the net/web capability and I definately want the PH probe which I think brings these up to about the same price, correct?

Also, I see people talking about controlling their lights and vortechs however, I currently run my vortech on anti-sync pulse mode with a nice little wave and my Radion puts them into night mode when it goes off. I really like the programmability of the Radion and I dont know if I would change that either. Am I missing something that these controllers can do better?

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to control your Vortechs you need to purchase an additional module for the Apex. Just FYI. I say RKL, especially for what you want to do. Either will work for what you want to do.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you are able to control all modes of the Radion and Vortecs with the Apex controller, which means you can change settings from anywhere with the internet connectivity and a smartphone. I have an ACIII and really want to upgrade to the full Apex in the near future. The stuff you can do with the Aquacontroller lines is amazing and I would never want to be without it.

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to make this decesion last year and chose an RKL, becuase it saved me tons of money. I am so glad i did... To me the extra money for text messaging and emails, and web capabilities is not worth a couple hundred dollars. I guess I would say if your going to stay simple and cheap RKL, if you want expandability and have some more cash I would go with Apex. If your a gadget person go with Apex.

OP
OP
A

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks for your help everyone! just ordered the Apex Lite with the Neptune PH probe which brings me to my next question.

Do I need to buy calibration fluid to calibrate the probe basically right out of the box and if so what type of fluid do I need to buy?

xtian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not come with calibration fluid. To calibrate it you need ph 7 and ph 10.

westreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the Apex Lite control the dimming of LED, providing 0-10 volts controlling signal?

gmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be forewarned if you buy digital aquatics. I can't speak for the newer product line. But i purchased a new reefkeeper 2 4 years ago with all the accessories; AC strip, Hi Amp strip for chiller, Ph probe, etc all the stuff they had. well over $500 invested. All equipment still works, with one exception the plastic screen is so dim you can hardly see the numbers. I called support they said none of their AC strips are backwards compatible. They have no upgrade path or credit so their suggestion is to throw it all away and buy one of their new complete systems. I do not believe in investing in a company that says buy it all over again.

never again.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back