20151202_163459.jpg

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
give T5 a try for like 6 months.
unless you are an expert in sps and have tricks to get it to color up.
IT's very hard to achieve great color with LED. you probably will be throwing out hundreds of faded color frags/or even colonies of your sps before you know it if you continue with LED. Don't get me wrong, there are few people do have good color with using LED but that number is very low. Look around, search in sps forum of site.

Those that uses LED only on their sps tank, they don't even dare to post pictures of the tank

One of the reasons why sps keepers still continue using T5 and or MH despite the bulb expenses .

Last edited:

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of times with those nice looking led tanks that you see. They were either recently made a swith to led and then took those photo .
Or they sometimes remove their t5 or mh and put on the led . I would not trust those photo especially those that are from the vendor. They were mostly for marketing purpose. Alot of post editting and enhamcement and markups.
Do you know any one using only led on their sps tank over a year without any disaapointment?.
I dont ever hear them sayig they tested their led on sps for like 6 months or 1 year before selling their light.

Also Dont listen to those people that are only been using for just few months and claim they have great success with led.

Regarless led is good or bad. These led company will continue to pump their products out every year regardless.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hotnickz07

hotnickz07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
give T5 a try for like 6 months.
unless you are an expert in sps and have tricks to get it to color up.
IT's very hard to achieve great color with LED. you probably will be throwing out hundreds of faded color frags/or even colonies of your sps before you know it if you continue with LED. Don't get me wrong, there are few people do have good color with using LED but that number is very low. Look around, search in sps forum of site.

Those that uses LED only on their sps tank, they don't even dare to post pictures of the tank

One of the reasons why sps keepers still continue using T5 and or MH despite the bulb expenses .

IFarmer, i really do respect your opinion on the subject. However its impossible for me to use t5 in my set up due to the space. Also since the lights are enclosed, heat alone would be insane. Trust me i love T5, its all i have ever used before with great success. BUT, I refuse to give in that statement that leds cant produce great colors and sps. I have personally seen plenty of tanks running both radions and AI's. The downside to leds is getting the right settings for your tank, as opposed to t5 / mh were is plug and play.

On a side note i have to resport that ever since stopping prodivio and increasing nutrients , my tank is doing amazing. Things are coloring up very nice to include reds and pinks which i have never been able to have. Right now i am at
No3 25ppm yes 25 salifert
Po4 at .09 hanna
8 dkh salifert
420 calc salifert
1400 mag salifert
Temp steady at 78f
I guess like some of you said my low nutrients were at fault. I have stopped kno3 dosing, to let no3 drop a bit since its a bit high. However i will let tank settle on its own, as opposed to adding any chems.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IFarmer, i really do respect your opinion on the subject. However its impossible for me to use t5 in my set up due to the space. Also since the lights are enclosed, heat alone would be insane. Trust me i love T5, its all i have ever used before with great success. BUT, I refuse to give in that statement that leds cant produce great colors and sps. I have personally seen plenty of tanks running both radions and AI's. The downside to leds is getting the right settings for your tank, as opposed to t5 / mh were is plug and play.

On a side note i have to resport that ever since stopping prodivio and increasing nutrients , my tank is doing amazing. Things are coloring up very nice to include reds and pinks which i have never been able to have. Right now i am at
No3 25ppm yes 25 salifert
Po4 at .09 hanna
8 dkh salifert
420 calc salifert
1400 mag salifert
Temp steady at 78f
I guess like some of you said my low nutrients were at fault. I have stopped kno3 dosing, to let no3 drop a bit since its a bit high. However i will let tank settle on its own, as opposed to adding any chems.

good ol no3. solves it everytime.

t5 does nothing for coloration imo. i had leds only. and added 6 ATI blue+ bulbs to my gettup.

didnt do anything. it is about water quality and color temp.

btw. 25ppm nitrate is fine. just turn the lights up a little more and maybe raise dkh a tad.
the lower nutrient levels can tone them down ime.

glad it is working out.

OP
OP
hotnickz07

hotnickz07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to i post a pic from photobucket. Its not letting insert image. It wont show

OP
OP
hotnickz07

hotnickz07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good ol no3. solves it everytime.

t5 does nothing for coloration imo. i had leds only. and added 6 ATI blue+ bulbs to my gettup.

didnt do anything. it is about water quality and color temp.

btw. 25ppm nitrate is fine. just turn the lights up a little more and maybe raise dkh a tad.
the lower nutrient levels can tone them down ime.

glad it is working out.
Hey russ, i have been following your nutrients thread and playing with it here and there. As far as lights, i am currently raising them up slowly. Doing about 2 to 3 % a week. So far so good. For now i dont want to change dkh since to many changes imo at the same time are bad. Since its harder to pinpoint something if things take a plunge. But if i see, tank going through dkh, then i will raise it. Right now im dosing 5 ml of alk daily . Split in 2 doses 2 at noon and 3 and midnight. And 8 ml of calc split into 4 doses of 2 ml each.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey russ, i have been following your nutrients thread and playing with it here and there. As far as lights, i am currently raising them up slowly. Doing about 2 to 3 % a week. So far so good. For now i dont want to change dkh since to many changes imo at the same time are bad. Since its harder to pinpoint something if things take a plunge. But if i see, tank going through dkh, then i will raise it. Right now im dosing 5 ml of alk daily . Split in 2 doses 2 at noon and 3 and midnight. And 8 ml of calc split into 4 doses of 2 ml each.

i wouldnt raise it much if at all bud. if you want lighter colors, up the white intensity/lux btw. looks like you got the blue intensity working for you.

great job overall.

OP
OP
hotnickz07

hotnickz07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good Russ, ill take that up. Cant wait till these bad boys start to grow

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That looks nice. Did you change anything else other than dosing nitrate? Did you feed anything the fish anything different or a greater amount during this time?

OP
OP
hotnickz07

hotnickz07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks nice. Did you change anything else other than dosing nitrate? Did you feed anything the fish anything different or a greater amount during this time?
Hey sahin
Well not really, besides small nightly feedings of coral frenzy and the mysis or brine cubes in the morning. I have stopped adding acropower since im running such high nutrients. I substituted for trace elements by brightwell. I tested my water yesterday and nitrates are holding at 25 and po4 at 9. Dirty dirty i know

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 83 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back