Help me complete my livestock for cheap....

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I've got a 90 gallon reef I've been setting up this year, upgraded from a 54 corner. This is sort of my dream system, and despite using budget parts, I've been able to keep parameters stable and have LPS and softies flourishing in my system.

Unfortunately, personal issues are getting in the way of my plans and I thought I was going to have to sell everything. I was able to cobble together a plan that allows me to keep this single system setup and maintained, but not any major upgrades, and not any significant money on livestock. I no longer have room for my quarantine system, and anything added to the tank will have to be directly dropped in. I also only know that I can maintain it for the next year. My hope is to find a more permanent solution after that, but there is the chance that I still have to break it all down and sell a year from now (I hope not).

I have a pretty good selection of fish in there, and as long as everything stays alive, it wouldn't be necessary to add fish. They are all extremely reef friendly fish that don't pick on corals or inverts, with the one possible exception being the baby marine betta (about 2.5 in) that I know will eat anything that fits in his mouth as he gets older.

I'm looking for advice on any corals, nem's and especially inverts that might be budget adds to help me fill the system, so it doesn't seem incomplete. My budget is EXTREMELY low, maybe $10 or less per animal. I've got a fair CuC in place, but the only inverts aside from an army of snails that are normally visible are my giant skunk cleaner shrimp, and the "boss" of my peppermint shrimp crew.

Highly visible, highly inexpensive, fun inverts/corals/etc.? Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Save $$ towards desired fish, do layaway with LFS or request cash for B-day, xmas, etc. There is no real cheap in this hobby as you get what you pay for especially in this hobby. The prettier the specimen, the prettier the price. Just a way of the hobby.
My last 3 fish (achilles tang, gem tang and Chevron tang ) was $1086.00. Settling for a $10-20 fish does not fit my stocking plan. I believe when this corona issue resolves/subsides, there will be Many reduced priced fish as warehouse/wholesalers are stocked to the hilt and after memorial Day, many pet industry sources slow down as people are traveling , going to concerts, waterparks and other events in which they spend less time home and tend to buy salt, foods, etc over livestock and new tank systems

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your shrimp are the only things you should have to worry about with your betta...

Honestly though, if you know you're going to have to tear it down in the not so distant future, why not save the money you would be spending on various livestock and purchase the things you will need when it can be set up for the longterm?
If you can wait, after all is said and done, you won't need a budget tank, it will be your REAL dream tank.

I read your post earlier, and I'm extremely sorry to hear that. I've been through it myself and it's not easy, no matter how bad the relationship was. Just be patient and everything will be fine

If you're dead set on adding right now, the LFS and local hobbyists are selling things dirt cheap. As someone mentioned to you earlier, craigslist has tons of people selling reef gear and livestock, usually for really cheap and/or free. That's your best bet, because online you have to pay for shipping which can be anywhere from 25-60 dollars

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save $$ towards desired fish, do layaway with LFS or request cash for B-day, xmas, etc. There is no real cheap in this hobby as you get what you pay for especially in this hobby. The prettier the specimen, the prettier the price. Just a way of the hobby.
My last 3 fish (achilles tang, gem tang and Chevron tang ) was $1086.00. Settling for a $10-20 fish does not fit my stocking plan. I believe when this corona issue resolves/subsides, there will be Many reduced priced fish as warehouse/wholesalers are stocked to the hilt and after memorial Day, many pet industry sources slow down as people are traveling , going to concerts, waterparks and other events in which they spend less time home and tend to buy salt, foods, etc over livestock and new tank systems

I appreciate the point about prices going down when things settle. I will certainly look out for sales. Just to clarify a few things from the above post:

1) I have more expensive fish and corals already in the system. My fish stocking was NEARLY complete, and it wouldn't bug me much if I have to settle for the current fish occupants.

2) Part of the reason I don't want to invest much, is the possibility I have to break the system down in a year, and don't want to spend large amounts of money I can't possibly get a return on. If I can get things stabilized, I can re-examine my plans then, but I'm considering this a 1 year "rental" sort to speak.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I appreciate the point about prices going down when things settle. I will certainly look out for sales. Just to clarify a few things from the above post:

1) I have more expensive fish and corals already in the system. My fish stocking was NEARLY complete, and it wouldn't bug me much if I have to settle for the current fish occupants.

2) Part of the reason I don't want to invest much, is the possibility I have to break the system down in a year, and don't want to spend large amounts of money I can't possibly get a return on. If I can get things stabilized, I can re-examine my plans then, but I'm considering this a 1 year "rental" sort to speak.
I understand better now. If it comforts you, I have about $2900 in fish in my tank and 3X that in coral and will be permanently be relocating to Miami Beach area, Florida Spring of 2022. Not yet sure on coral but fish Likely coming with me.

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I guess to answer both of you guys, I really don't know what's going to happen here. Its a very odd situation, and it could mean anything between just going "budget" for a year, it could mean moving the system later, or it could mean tearing it all down and selling. I think the reason I'm wanting to get some sort of "completion" to the system now, is if I have to tear down and sell, its likely going to be years that I ever get to this point again. I'd like to say I enjoyed something nice for the time I had it, if that were the case.

Mostly looking for some highly visible inverts to add a little more movement on rocks and maybe add to the CuC a bit.

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put anything in the tank and don't quarantine, you are risking what you already have. Food for thought.

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put anything in the tank and don't quarantine, you are risking what you already have. Food for thought.
I've been looking heavily on reefcleaners website at inverts. I know risks are still there, but I also know they run a fish-free facility and usually are insanely low priced. I've never had any issues with CuC that I've directly dropped from them, so its my lowest risk thought at the moment.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think through anemone purchase. They have downsides you may not want to take.

corals that I find are easily gotten for $10 frags and under are kenya tree leathers, frogspawn, zoas (a lot of overlook zoas than are no longer fads are great bargains)
, green star polyps - some think it more akin to weeds, but I love the stuff provided you have a plan to keep in in check, like its; own island rock.

if there is a reef club you can get to, these are the best option, IMO. Lost of frags being donated for auction and raffles to help the club finances. I can't tell you how many corals I got for $5 - $10

This will put you in touch with reefers who grow and sell corals. I find these folks to have great quality and will work with you on packages, especially of they need to move some corals to make room for their high margin inventory.

The livestock sell forum is a good way to meet home based sellers in your area

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think through anemone purchase. They have downsides you may not want to take.

corals that I find are easily gotten for $10 frags and under are kenya tree leathers, frogspawn, zoas (a lot of overlook zoas than are no longer fads are great bargains)
, green star polyps - some think it more akin to weeds, but I love the stuff provided you have a plan to keep in in check, like its; own island rock.

if there is a reef club you can get to, these are the best option, IMO. Lost of frags being donated for auction and raffles to help the club finances. I can't tell you how many corals I got for $5 - $10

This will put you in touch with reefers who grow and sell corals. I find these folks to have great quality and will work with you on packages, especially of they need to move some corals to make room for their high margin inventory.

The livestock sell forum is a good way to meet home based sellers in your area
Good advice. I already have a monster GSP colony, but I didn't even think of fragging some pieces and letting it spread more. That would be the best price: free!

I like the other ideas, I was just starting to get into zoas, and the few I have in the system are already growing like weeds. I'll have to checkup on the others.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back