Help me decide. Noopsyche vs RedSea

docs911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have three Noopsyche K7 Pro III lights on an 80 gallon tank. I really like my Noopsyche lights. Great growth and color. I am upgrading to a Red Sea 625 G2. Comes with two Red Sea 160 LED fixtures. What are your thoughts on two 16's vs 3 K7 pros?

OP
OP
D

docs911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying an existing setup. Comes with the two lights. Could either sell the noopsyches or the red sea 160's. Trying to decide now so I can plan this out

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Why not use them all? If it comes with two 160s, mount those like normal and turn your 3 Noopsyches front to back one on each end and one in middle.

OP
OP
D

docs911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't think about having all the lights. Would think that it would be too much lighting. Maybe I will try using a combination of 3 lights (1 red sea and 2 Noopsyche or 2 red sea and 1 noopsyche).

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea 160s attach to the tank mounted arm with a single 2mm screw. Nowhere near enough considering (if tank mounting) that tiny screw will be holding the full weight of the lights.

Secondly, a single screw tightened against the arm is all the control you have for setting the angle of the lights. So every time you touch them, accidentally or otherwise, they will droop. After a few months of droop and retighten, the heads of the screws will degrade and you will be stuck with lights drooping pathetically over the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

docs911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the 160s last night. I see the concern. With that said, I have not heard of mount failures.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the 160s last night. I see the concern. With that said, I have not heard of mount failures.
No, nor have I - which is surprising. My post above is almost word for word the same as one I posted on the Red Sea facebook page. The post was deleted and I received a permanent ban.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No, nor have I - which is surprising. My post above is almost word for word the same as one I posted on the Red Sea facebook page. The post was deleted and I received a permanent ban.
LOL, they're a very controlled group, shall we say. I don't hardly ever post there, but it's bad business to delete all comments that aren't glowing reviews.

I have beevr owned the Red Sea lights, maybe the only LED that I haven't owned. My experience with those type of mounting arms have been Kessil and the Radion RMA mount and a few others.

I never had an issue with progressive dropping, but the Radion RMS droops as soon as you install it. There isn't an angle adjustment either. I don't think that would steer me from using those lights, it if it happens, you might have to reinforce the mount a bit which is easy.

My concern with those mounting arms is the pressure it puts on the glass itself. Not with the Red Sea, but again, the Radion mounts and some others.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both Noopsyche and RedSea LED (albeit the 90 and not 160)

I much prefer the Noopsyche to be honest. The corals just colour up better under Noopsyche than the RedSea. But that's just personal opinion.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back