Help me design a 130 gallon sump!

  • Thread starter Thread starter DarkTang
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DarkTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2014
Messages
1,040
Reaction score
718
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this bad boy to use for a sump that is 72Lx24Wx17H:

I was thinking of splitting it off into 3 sections. It will drain into first chamber with a bubble magnus curve 7 skimmer raised to 10 inches water level but it will have a 23.5 inch by 14 inch for a baffle, so 2 baffles total, or should I use 2-3 baffles to divide each chamber? Second chamber will be reactors and return pump, third chamber will be temp refugium and frag chamber until I move sump location and use a 75g for refugium.

The return pump will have a 5 feet vertical and 7 feet horizontal head loss which comes out to about 11.5 feet of headloss. It will also use 4 90 degrees corners. All this comes out to be about 724 gph using a mag18. The tank is a 75g rimless deep blue with 1 inch hole drilled and original overflow. How does this sound for returns?

Ideas and recommendations?
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1415114675443.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415114675443.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 213
How this...

Sump.JPG
 

Attachments

  • Sump.JPG
    Sump.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Yeah that's what I was thinking but I'm not using filter socks. How come you need 3 baffles to divide up each chamber?

I dislike micro bubbles, so for me 3 weirs is a must, but you can remove if you don't want them... was also thinking the middle would be your return and the last one refugium but, you can flip that however you like...
 
I dislike micro bubbles, so for me 3 weirs is a must, but you can remove if you don't want them... was also thinking the middle would be your return and the last one refugium but, you can flip that however you like...
the middle section is my return lol
 
May have seen mine already but I use kind of the same type set up. I'm not running any reactors though. Instead I kept a section for a ato on one side. I have a spot for filter sock I just don't run one every day. I have since added a bubble trap right in the return pump section.
 

Attachments

  • 1415118264238.jpg
    1415118264238.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 196
Can I use these at HD?
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1415119005543.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415119005543.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 225
I think so expensive though. Try to find a plastics distributer. The have scrap always.
 
These guys are local, "laird plastics" and sell to the consumer, Google them for location.
 
Nope I'm close, 20 miles away.
Sweet gonna grab some today hopefully have the right sides that I need. A penny saved is a penny earned in this hobby lol. So ill go with your design it looks good. I have a lot of room to play with in each chamber since there's so much space.
 
:thumb:cool, let me know if you need any help, and post pic's when you're done...
 
Hmm just got a quote for 3/16 acrylic for all 6 baffle pieces for $70 and I don't have to cut anything should I take it?
 
Hmm just got a quote for 3/16 acrylic for all 6 baffle pieces for $70 and I don't have to cut anything should I take it?

That's not bad... cell-cast is not cheap, factor in labor, (like it's all that laborious), and no shipping and that seems like a good deal for local pickup.
 
Or should I go with 4/16 aka 1/4 all 6 pieces for $85?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new