Help me design a 300 gallon tank

I would do the 1050a the 840 will not be big enough for a 300g tank. Its only rated for I think 225 max.
 
Yes I agree Joey, however my funds have been limited and the tank is taking up most of them now. The skimmer will be the last piece I order only so I can try to hide some extra funds and get the larger one.

With skimmers one must be reminded that if it is rated for 250 gallons, that rating is based off of fish load and feeding. I will not be filling this tank with fish and I only have a few in the 110. If it becomes a issue I can always upgrade..

Or am wrong in this way of thinking, and by the way that BGM looks great and has added an eye and two more forming. Thanks dude your the man
 
Im glad the BGM is doing well for ya. I just got the controller for the sl1 yesterday.I totally understand about the funds. If it was me I would buy the 840 knowing there is a chance you will have to upgrade it. There are alot of other skimmers on the market you could get that will be better at handling the load for around the same price as the atb. Just a thought.
 
I have a dart pump for the return and two close loop with a dart pump on each,4 Tunze 6100 I think i have enough flow. lol Also have 4- 400 watt MH if your tank is 36" deep you may need 400 watt
 
Frank the tank is going to be around 36 inches front to back and I say around 36 because my wife just let me in on a little fact. The door in front is only 36 inches and with an external overflow of 3 inches it won't fit into the house. So I need to look into windows or make it smaller. The tank will be 27 top to bottom.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Mike, I will be in the Huntsville/Athens/Madison area the 1st week of May. Maybe we can hook up and I can check it out? I got mine in through the sliding, walkout basment door. We took the doors out of the tracks, giving us about 65"
 
Then you should be ok with the 250 watts.Don't make the tank smaller just blow out the door. lol Good luck.
 
Murfman come on over I am always open for fellow reefers.

I would love to blow out the door but here in the south we have all brick homes and the repair bill will out way the total tank price. Trust me I know.

Hopefully this budget thing will allow me to get it done in time, but this time I am not going to hurry for anything I have done that will bad results and I have some really nice pieces that I am not willing to lose. If anything then you get to see a really nice 110 tall.:cry:

Mike, I will be in the Huntsville/Athens/Madison area the 1st week of May. Maybe we can hook up and I can check it out? I got mine in through the sliding, walkout basment door. We took the doors out of the tracks, giving us about 65"
 
There is one girl there in Huntsville that has two huge tanks, side by side set up. I found the local club on RC a few years ago, when I was considering moving there.
 
Oh heck ya!!!!!!! Did you tell him Rev sent you or R2R? :D
 
Actually I told I wanted your tank just my dimensions. Super cool guy I have talked to him three times.

On a side note I or they can always turn the tank on it's side and at 27 inches it will fit through that door just fine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Yes thats what I did. Turned it on its side. I will tell you that we almost dropped the beast because it is super heavy man. We had 5 people on it.
 
i think you are on the right track. Revs tank is a nice build for sure. For return pumps I would use the option of ATB flow star pumps. You will not even know they are on. It is also great on the electricity. You will not regret it by any means. get some tunzes or vortechs and your done!
 
i think you are on the right track. Revs tank is a nice build for sure. For return pumps I would use the option of ATB flow star pumps. You will not even know they are on. It is also great on the electricity. You will not regret it by any means. get some tunzes or vortechs and your done!

Unfortunately the ATB Flow Star pumps look to be out of my budget range unless I skip out on the vortec's. So I have ordered the Dart pump and designed my overflow per Ty's request. The data has been sent and now the waiting game starts. I will be starting on the stand and canopy soon but here is the begining of my build.......

Tank-1.jpg
 
Last edited:
Just an update to my friends here.

The Tank, stand and canopy have been ordered and I have been quoted two weeks until delivery. I also have ordered the skimmer SWC 300A, and Reef Flow Dart pump. I have 200 pounds of live Tonga rock curing now, and am looking for a 285 gallon FSW mix tank for short term use (can anyone help). I am ordering more Halides and am going to try a new Dual fire MH bulb, it has a 20K and 10K element in one mogule base. It has been designed so when your MH turn on (while I am at work) the 10K bulb will fire and if you short cycle your ballast it will then fire the 20K. Kinda like the best of both worlds. We will see.

I have the a 75 gallon sump that I will be taking to Ty's on saturday as it needs some work and I will then send the Skimmer down to Ty so he can make sure everything fits inside the stand.

I am now looking into sand and things of that nature I have seen people put egg crate down before the sand and rock. Why is this? I am also looking for more sand, I have the sand in my 110 that I will bring over but I think I will need more a ton more to be exact. Do I just rinse well with FSW and then put it in or take the top inch and then wash the rest. No DSB in the 110 just 2-3 inches in the tank now and it has only been in there for 6 months so I think it should be fairly clean.

Does anyone know where and what kind of sand I can get to put in this monster, really dont want the "Live Sand" you can get from the LFS at 35.00 for 20 pounds. I would like to find something like the old playsand we used to get from Home Depot.

This is where the build is now and updates will be coming with Pics as things mature.
 
Mike, peeps put down the egg crate to keep pressure points off the bottom glass. I don't, I put my rock down and then gently place the sand around the rock. This keeps the goby from digging out the rocks and causing a rock slide.

One thing to keep in mind is if you have a lot of flow, small particle sand will be blown around the tank, constantly. I used sugar fine and it was a big mistake for my tank.

I cleaned the sand that I had in my 125 by letting water drain down till about 2"-3" above the sand bed. Then I reached in and stirred up the sand to get all the detritus suspended in the water. Then I started scooping the sand in to a bucket and transfer it to the new tank via a 2" pvc pipe. I poured it down the pipe by shoveling it with a spoon. This keeps too much of it from being suspended in the water column.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new