A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So uhh
Update
The acro is still coloured up right now, no polyp extension and algae is currently growing on parts of exposed skeleton where I crushed it. More pics tomorrow but I’m curious how I should clear out algae from the center of the coral without scraping off flesh. Not sure if it’s irritating the coral or not.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So uhh
Update
The acro is still coloured up right now, no polyp extension and algae is currently growing on parts of exposed skeleton where I crushed it. More pics tomorrow but I’m curious how I should clear out algae from the center of the coral without scraping off flesh. Not sure if it’s irritating the coral or not.
At this point just leave it and if it STN's in a week or two the worst that will happen is you'll learn an unpleasant lesson from this experience. It's probably extremely stressed already so I wouldn't touch it if I were you.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae does not grow on flesh.
There is exposed skeleton around the middle of the colony. I tried getting as much of the algae off with toothpicks as I can since I'm afraid to toothbrush it. Should I try dosing some algaecide? I do have a hair algae issue despite all my nutrients bottoming out but it doesn't bother me that much.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is exposed skeleton around the middle of the colony. I tried getting as much of the algae off with toothpicks as I can since I'm afraid to toothbrush it. Should I try dosing some algaecide? I do have a hair algae issue despite all my nutrients bottoming out but it doesn't bother me that much.
No, do not use an algaecide.
Have you tried a soft bristle tooth brush?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet, but I had tried it on my hammers and it brushed off that lip around their skeletons that they grow so I stopped doing it.
Hammers have fleshy tissue, I would never recommend a toothbrush on them.
SPS is more forgiving with a soft toothbrush. Don't rub hard for goodness sake.
Another thing to try is h2o2 (peroxide) on a cotton swab(not dropping wet) if the frag can be removed.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers have fleshy tissue, I would never recommend a toothbrush on them.
SPS is more forgiving with a soft toothbrush. Don't rub hard for goodness sake.
Another thing to try is h2o2 (peroxide) on a cotton swab(not dropping wet) if the frag can be removed.
Will dosing peroxide also kill the algae or do I have to apply it topically? If I can just do that it'll solve a lot of my tank's issues...
If not, I'm going to toothbrush it when I get home.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will dosing peroxide also kill the algae or do I have to apply it topically? If I can just do that it'll solve a lot of my tank's issues...
If not, I'm going to toothbrush it when I get home.
Peroxide done topically will kill the algae. Not to be left to long on the coral flesh. A minute and dip in tank water that you have set aside. You can even use it on the toothbrush. Just dip the toothbrush tip in and shake off the excess. Gently brush, watch it bubble for a minute and rinse. Do as needed multiple times. Wait a couple minutes in-between. It should only take a couple times.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide done topically will kill the algae. Not to be left to long on the coral flesh. A minute and dip in tank water that you have set aside. You can even use it on the toothbrush. Just dip the toothbrush tip in and shake off the excess. Gently brush, watch it bubble for a minute and rinse. Do as needed multiple times. Wait a couple minutes in-between. It should only take a couple times.
What will it kill other than hair algae? I have some chaeto in the sump, will it damage them?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will it kill other than hair algae? I have some chaeto in the sump, will it damage them?
No, not doing it topically.
You would have to dump a whole bottle in to kill off the macro.

Edit: h2o2 can be used up to 1ml per 10 gallons of tank volume. So topically, it's a very safe way to use it. Just remember, don't leave it on coral flesh to long. Try shorter times on the coral and see how it reacts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not doing it topically.
You would have to dump a whole bottle in to kill off the macro.

Edit: h2o2 can be used up to 1ml per 10 gallons of tank volume. So topically, it's a very safe way to use it. Just remember, don't leave it on coral flesh to long. Try shorter times on the coral and see how it reacts.
Is it ok to apply it topically to other patches down in the tank by turkey baster? Thinking of wiping out the patches that keep on distracting my urchins that way. I'm not sure I can observe the reactions of the coral though... it's sps that never extended, best I can do is to check whether it lost colour.

Thanks for the answer btw, I used to want to save all my peroxide up to dose in case of ich or uronema, but I guess it's fine to use as a general purpose pesticide.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good example of why I've been asking through questions before starting an Acro dominant tank

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good example of why I've been asking through questions before starting an Acro dominant tank
It was only an experiment, but I wanted to make most of it. In no way is this tank "acro dominant" or will likely have any acropora at all. More to get experience in keeping SPS happy.

also five buck frag so can't pass it up lol

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was only an experiment, but I wanted to make most of it. In no way is this tank "acro dominant" or will likely have any acropora at all. More to get experience in keeping SPS happy.

also five buck frag so can't pass it up lol
How much algae is in your tank?
How much par do you have in your tank? This frag should be in about 300 par.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much algae is in your tank?
How much par do you have in your tank? This frag should be in about 300 par.
It's covered up the back wall and whatever caves and crags happen to be in the back. I want it gone because it makes my big urchin lazy and hide.

No clue about the par, don't have a good meter or anyone to borrow one from so I just cranked up the light to max.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's covered up the back wall and whatever caves and crags happen to be in the back. I want it gone because it makes my big urchin lazy and hide.

No clue about the par, don't have a good meter or anyone to borrow one from so I just cranked up the light to max.
First thing is to find out why you have all this algae.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing is to find out why you have all this algae.
Heavy feeding. My idea is to take out all the hair and then spam chaeto to uptake all the nutrients that leaks out and then just maintain hair in my sump. Nutrients are all bottomed out so it must be going straight into the algae as soon as the stuff decomposes.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back