Help me get him out!

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a mantis shrimp in my sps reef the other day, how do I get him out? I’m currently trying a plastic bottle with the top cutoff and inverted with mysis shrimps inside for bait. He hasn’t gone in. Any other ideas? Thx

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had one!
If you really want to try and get rid of him, it could take a week or so with an inverred bottle trap like you say you made....
I would drill a couple small holes in the bottom of the bottle though so the food will "flow" in and out of the bottle to lure him a little better.

OP
OP
Reefs anonymous

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had one!
If you really want to try and get rid of him, it could take a week or so with an inverred bottle trap like you say you made....
I would drill a couple small holes in the bottom of the bottle though so the food will "flow" in and out of the bottle to lure him a little better.
I lost a few fish and initially thought i was doing something wrong. I added some hermit crabs and they are acting strange. All of the crabs gather together in the very front corner of the tank and then at night they scatter for food. My experience with them is they usually move around all day but in this tank their behavior is different and They seem to die quickly. I then heard that dreaded snapping sound. There he was on top of a torch hammering the base of the coral. So I need to get him out before he kills the rest of my fish. I’ll try and catch and return him to the legs if they’ll have him.

Richard Hercher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a few fish and initially thought i was doing something wrong. I added some hermit crabs and they are acting strange. All of the crabs gather together in the very front corner of the tank and then at night they scatter for food. My experience with them is they usually move around all day but in this tank their behavior is different and They seem to die quickly. I then heard that dreaded snapping sound. There he was on top of a torch hammering the base of the coral. So I need to get him out before he kills the rest of my fish. I’ll try and catch and return him to the legs if they’ll have him.
Any luck getting your shrimp out?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back