Matis catching journey

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how this trap works.. I would remove cap (white) screw top as it appears to me the shrimp may walk in but it's backing out as it has nowhere else to go (the screwcap is basically a wall)

OP
OP
S

STLJam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed the cap and changed out the frozen mysis. He keeps poking his little eyes out of they rock to the left...
1000003073.jpg
1000003074.jpg

OP
OP
S

STLJam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3, I see him all over the tank, but still not trapped. I did go to the LFS and they recommended using krill, so we will see if they helps bait him in.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eats off tweezers and would be easy to setup a net underneath and catch it when it’s focused on the food. If the bottle doesn’t work that might be worth a shot.
^I'd try this. I have an N. wennerae Mantis that I got on November 13th. and he pretty much immediately went after krill from forceps/long tweezers. Although he's still pretty reclusive and rarely, if ever, ventures fully out of the rockwork, if I wave a piece of krill with the tweezers he darts out, grabs the krill, and darts back into the rock with his catch. I would position the net near where he's hiding and leave the net alone for a while so he gets used to it. Then try baiting him with nearly anything you have on hand - a piece of krill, shrimp, clam, muscle, squid, mysis (mine takes all the above) - with the tweezers and see if you can't get him out and over the net, then in the net.

When you get a hold of him, they do make rather interesting pets, you may want to consider keeping him in his own small tank. They are very hardy, and don't require any kind of sophisticated or expensive system.

Good luck!
Mysis and chunks of lrs, it took a few days for the mantis to trust the tweezers but it comes out anytime there in the tank now.

Here’s mine and it’s completely focused on the food, toss a net underneath and it basically catches itself lol.

Nice looking little guy! Mine acts very similarly, but is not as confident, and won't stay out as long. Is yours also an N. wennerae?

OP
OP
S

STLJam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so bottle trap us not working, so I removed the trap plus Mr. Mantis seemed to dissappear for a couple of days (prob because I gave him a big piece of shrimp). I seen him again today and decided to try and tweezers feed him amd sure enough he came right out and took it off the tweezers. I think I will wait a couple of days and try to put a net down and try and net him.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s worth a shot. Good luck!

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tiny? I could see a chiragra doing that maybe lol

Yeah, no clue how long it takes but they somehow manage it before they get sold... sometimes twice before they get sold... at that point they gave them away after some emerald crab riots.

I had an N. wennerae that was this weird pink color passed onto me after doing that... and then it did it to me again in a betta breeder and thankfully didn't attack anything.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Whatcha gonna fo with him??
He's adorable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back