Help me get rid of this Red cyanobacteria

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 5425XL about 10 months old mixed reef and have been battling red cyanobacteria. I had a clean tank this past weekend using a combination of Microbacter7, Vinegar dosing, and Red Sea algae treatment. I bought Chemi Clean but was reluctant to use it. Most recent test using Hanna testers: Calcium 541. Nitrate 5, Phosphate .01, and alk 8.6.
Any help would be appreciated. Should I use the Chemi Clean?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Although chemi clean does work, there are alternatives.
Reduce white light and add 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons daily. Additionally add 1.5ml of hydrogen Peroxide per 10gals at night. Do this 5-7 days and do vacuum up as much as you can right away. Blow the rest loose with a turkey baster and net or siphon up.
Adding snails such as astrea. nassarius, nerite, cerith and Trochus will help control it as will 8-10 blue leg hermits

OP
OP
jpbeen

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce white light and add 1ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons daily. Additionally add 1.5ml of hydrogen Peroxide per 10gals at night. Do this 5-7 days and do vacuum up as much as you can right away. Blow the rest loose with a turkey baster and net or siphon up.
Adding snails such as astrea. nassarius, nerite, cerith and Trochus will help control it as will 8-10 blue leg hermits
Thanks; sounds like I should start dosing the microbacter7 again. I have 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide I use in my spa, can I dose that or should I water it down?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks; sounds like I should start dosing the microbacter7 again. I have 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide I use in my spa, can I dose that or should I water it down?
Bring it down to at least 7% or you can dose 1/3ml of that peroxide you have

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it advisable to use hydrogen peroxide while also dosing vibrant for the same problem?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is it advisable to use hydrogen peroxide while also dosing vibrant for the same problem?
Vibrant will do little to nothing with Cyano which is a bacteria - Not an algae

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's more to this story. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/why-did-my-euphyllia-hammer-and-torch-corals-die.792060/

There are so many things that have been done to this tank to remove a normal occurrence in a tank. This is a newer tank, less than a year old. It needs time to mature and a consistent maintenance regime rather than dosing more things. If you have a light dusting on some rocks and the sand, then manually remove it. Keep up the regular maintenance and things will start to look better.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is something to consider. Indonesian Trochus snails. My nutrients became imbalanced which lead to a nasty cyano outbreak and because my tank is SPS dominant I didn't want to try any chemicals that could potentially harm my colonies. I read trochus snails eat it....I took the risk an ordered 25 for my 300 Gallon from Live Aquaria. I received them yesterday and wow...where ever cyano is they are. This morning I took a look and my tank has improved big time. It is important they are from Indonesia, my understanding are the ones from Nicaragua aren't nearly as effective. I hope this helps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back