Help me ID these two items on my TBS rock

Cornelia_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 6, 2026
Messages
46
Reaction score
42
Location
queens
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is about the best shot I was able to get. I’m mainly trying to figure out if I need to remove this rock to prevent an outbreak.

My tank is 62 days old and I don’t plan on turning on lights for the first four months. Right now I just have a clownfish pair and a royal gramma.
20260906_221052_2B03512B-5109-43C8-AA48-B78599C99D74.png
 
Did Tampa Bay Saltwater recommend no lights for 4 months. That would seem to defeat the purpose of diver collected live rock.
 
If you’re referring to the red hairy stuff it is most likely this

https://mosaicmacros.com/products/red-turf-macroalgae-unknown-sp

I got it on my rock from TBS too. It’s actually really pretty and doesn’t grow too terribly tall, maybe 1/2” at the most. My scarlet hermit crabs demolished it though. In my opinion you can leave it.

Here are some photos of when I first got the rock, you can see it under the Xenia.


20260906_214348_50DBC296-A6A3-4484-AADA-803BD5C5C10B.png


20260906_214348_0873E8D4-40BB-4187-9F5B-15FA0580ADAE.png
 
3rding! Don't leave lights off when buying diver collected rock like this. It will kill all the cool stuff.

If you could give more direction on "what" you are looking to identify we can give guidance.

When we got TBS rock for our tanks we just tossed it in and let it ride. All the life is what makes this stuff so special. You'd be wasting good money in not turning your light on.
 
Did Tampa Bay Saltwater recommend no lights for 4 months. That would seem to defeat the purpose of diver collected live rock.

No, that was the original plan for the tank. The TBS purchase was a late night impulse. I totally get that lights off isn’t recommended for the rock, but I appreciate the heads up.

I’m actually just trying to identify the two hair-like items growing on the rock. One is greenish, one purple or reddish.
 
If you’re referring to the red hairy stuff it is most likely this

https://mosaicmacros.com/products/red-turf-macroalgae-unknown-sp

I got it on my rock from TBS too. It’s actually really pretty and doesn’t grow too terribly tall, maybe 1/2” at the most. My scarlet hermit crabs demolished it though. In my opinion you can leave it.

Here are some photos of when I first got the rock, you can see it under the Xenia.


20260906_214348_50DBC296-A6A3-4484-AADA-803BD5C5C10B.png


20260906_214348_0873E8D4-40BB-4187-9F5B-15FA0580ADAE.png
Very helpful. I meant that and the green stuff.
 
If you’re referring to the red hairy stuff it is most likely this

https://mosaicmacros.com/products/red-turf-macroalgae-unknown-sp

I got it on my rock from TBS too. It’s actually really pretty and doesn’t grow too terribly tall, maybe 1/2” at the most. My scarlet hermit crabs demolished it though. In my opinion you can leave it.

Here are some photos of when I first got the rock, you can see it under the Xenia.


20260906_214348_50DBC296-A6A3-4484-AADA-803BD5C5C10B.png


20260906_214348_0873E8D4-40BB-4187-9F5B-15FA0580ADAE.png
Very helpful. I meant that and the green stuff.
I also have tiny patches of the green kind. It’s not the typical hair algae. I think it’s a green form of turf algae (a macro) but I’m not positive. So I’m just not as confident giving you an ID on that one. It hasn’t spread in my tank at all, but I have a pretty good clean up crew.
I’d recommend a few Trochus snails, scarlet hermits (the most peaceful), and Florida Ceriths. These have done wonders for my tank. I also recommend stomatella snails if you can find them. And if any of these algae’s ever give you issues I hear tuxedo urchins are awesome for algae.

I’ve had zero issues with any kind of algae taking over, and just a slight amount of diatoms for like 2 weeks before that got eaten up. I didn’t have to leave lights off or do any extreme battling of unwanted stuff with the cleanup crew and live rock. I’ve been really pleasantly surprised. My other tank that was started with dry rock was more difficult on the other hand, so you’re already a step ahead.

This is a wonderful source if there isn’t much locally: https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/tank-cleaners
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new