Help me overcomplicate gravel vacuuming!

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to make my work as simple as possible, so that I'll actually be motivated to get it done. So, I'm trying to come up with an infinite gravel vac solution that'd allow me to stir up the tank and slurp up any and all junk and not be limited by my water change volume.

A while back, I had a flatworm problem, so I stuffed a mason jar full of filter floss and attached a pump and tubing going in and out of the jar. This allowed me to suck the worms into the jar, catching them in the floss and returning the water to the tank all in one step. The build was a little awkward, but it mostly got the job done. I've since hired a wrasse to finish the job and he's been a model citizen ever since.

SO, I'm looking to do something very similar, but on a larger scale. At one point, I dropped a filter sock in a bucket and let the vac drop into the sock, then had a spare return pump putting the water back in the tank. This worked, but gravity siphon =/= pump flow rate, so I had to juggle cleaning with unplugging and restarting the pump to ensure it didn't run dry or flood my office. The filter sock also eventually clogged up and overflowed, so it was spitting junk back into the tank.

I know Eheim makes/made an automatic gravel vac, but they've never seemed to popular, so I'm not sure if it's worth buying. I just thought I'd throw it out there and see if any other lazy reefers have had similar ideas

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A long time ago I used a diatom filter with a gravel vac tube attached to the suction end.
I remember using a Magnum 350 canister filter with the diatom insert.
Not sure what's available these days.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to make my work as simple as possible, so that I'll actually be motivated to get it done. So, I'm trying to come up with an infinite gravel vac solution that'd allow me to stir up the tank and slurp up any and all junk and not be limited by my water change volume.

A while back, I had a flatworm problem, so I stuffed a mason jar full of filter floss and attached a pump and tubing going in and out of the jar. This allowed me to suck the worms into the jar, catching them in the floss and returning the water to the tank all in one step. The build was a little awkward, but it mostly got the job done. I've since hired a wrasse to finish the job and he's been a model citizen ever since.

SO, I'm looking to do something very similar, but on a larger scale. At one point, I dropped a filter sock in a bucket and let the vac drop into the sock, then had a spare return pump putting the water back in the tank. This worked, but gravity siphon =/= pump flow rate, so I had to juggle cleaning with unplugging and restarting the pump to ensure it didn't run dry or flood my office. The filter sock also eventually clogged up and overflowed, so it was spitting junk back into the tank.

I know Eheim makes/made an automatic gravel vac, but they've never seemed to popular, so I'm not sure if it's worth buying. I just thought I'd throw it out there and see if any other lazy reefers have had similar ideas

I would just get:
section of 3” pvc
2 DWV female adapters
2 end caps
2 barb to npt fittings

Cut a 2’ section of the pvc and install the female adapters. Then drill and tap the caps to whatever size barb you are using. From there just pack the pipe with floss and carbon if you want and run it inline with your pump, siphon hose, whatever. If you have a sump siphon will be easiest just returning the water to the sump.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's what I made:

1000007933.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you are on the right track. Maybe the suction side of a small powerhead attached to a short length of rigid tubing is all you need to suck up the stuff and return the filtered water o the aquarium. The filtration part needs some thought :)

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this thread, it might work for what you’re looking to do.

OP
OP
pygo1

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That looks like a great solution! any idea what the diatom powder they're talking about is?(not that it concerns me, I'm looking to capture larger mulm n stuff :p )

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know diatom filters were even a thing, but it's looking like a winner!
Diatom filters were the cats' meow back in the 60's and 70's, maybe longer.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue is when I vacuum gravel, whether I do it during a water change or if I would incorporate a fancy gizmo such as shown here. I suck (pun intended) at it. I invariably try to make sure I am not sucking up things not intended and trying to control the flow. I get a bunch of sand/gravel along with the detritus. I feel it would make short work of these contraptions.
Now I just stir up a section of sand bed just before a water change or turn on the fleece roller.

OP
OP
pygo1

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue is when I vacuum gravel, whether I do it during a water change or if I would incorporate a fancy gizmo such as shown here. I suck (pun intended) at it. I invariably try to make sure I am not sucking up things not intended and trying to control the flow. I get a bunch of sand/gravel along with the detritus. I feel it would make short work of these contraptions.
Now I just stir up a section of sand bed just before a water change or turn on the fleece roller.
Honestly, I don't get into my rockwork and sand bed nearly as deep as I would with a fresh water tank. There are just too many critters in the way and my rocks are precariously placed. My go-to during water change time is to take a turkey baster and blast all the crud off the rocks and get it floating around. THEN I go in with the gravel vac and do my thing(aim for bigger chunks first). I usually keep the vac an inch or so above the sand, just to slurp up any detritus without moving anything, unless there's something I really want out of the tank and dont mind taking some sand with it lol. I let my snails stir my sand bed, no need to dig into it.

All that being said, I wish I had a filter roller and then I could just constantly blast the junk into the overflow :p
(can't find a fairly priced one to fit a nano AIO tank)

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that being said, I wish I had a filter roller and then I could just constantly blast the junk into the overflow :p
(can't find a fairly priced one to fit a nano AIO tank)
Can you add some filter floss to the back while you blast everything out?

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if an adjustable DC pump would be beneficial so you can adjust the flow rate to suit?

www.reef2reef.com

DIY Diatom Filter for under $100.00

I have 4 or 5 old Vortex Diatom filters in various stages of disintegration and I use one all the time to stir up the gravel in my 125 gallon tank. I also use it to blow out detritus in the pores my real rock. The tank uses dolomite gravel and the gravel has been in there for the 52 year life of...
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com

I don't know @PaulB but have read some of his posts and I really like his DIY approach. I used to do a lot more of the DIY when I was younger but nothing at his level.

I am not interested in something as fine as diatom powder (yes I remember the 70's when we used to use those @threebuoys) but a Cartridge filled with filter floss or a 20 Micron cartridge would fit for general clean up.

Great thread!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back