DIY Diatom Filter for under $100.00

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 or 5 old Vortex Diatom filters in various stages of disintegration and I use one all the time to stir up the gravel in my 125 gallon tank. I also use it to blow out detritus in the pores my real rock. The tank uses dolomite gravel and the gravel has been in there for the 52 year life of the tank.

I also use the diatom filter many times when I collect NSW which is full of sea weed parts, sand and all sorts of debris because I take it from shore.

My last Diatom filter croaked after many fixes and modifications so I built one. I have been wanting to do this for many years because the manufactured model has not been built in many years and it was a horrible design for salt water and it rusted bad causing the bearings and seal to fail.

This working prototype I built in about an hour and so far it runs very well but I didn't put the diatom powder in yet.
The main two parts are a typical under sink water filter housing available from Amazon for about $20.00. The pleated filter cartridge inside is a 30 micron. They sell a one micron and if you use that you don't need diatom powder but I want to try this one first with the powder.

Diatom parts.JPG

Diatom 3.JPG

The pump is a 500GPH Supreme Hydro-Mag pump. $68.00 on Amazon

The membrane inside is $13.00​

Pentair Pentek R30 Sediment Water Filter, 10-Inch, Under Sink Pleated Polyester Filter Cartridge, 10" x 2.5", 30 Micron​

This is the finished prototype ready for testing.

Diatom 1.JPG

The galvanized cap on the bottom of the filter is a 4" end cap for a dryer vent duct. It will corrode so I will replace it on the finished model with a rubber one available in a plumbing supply of Home Depot.

I also would not use that piece of "melamine" shelving material at the bottom as it doesn't do well with water. I will use either Plexiglass or varnished wood.

I also will replace that clear tube between the pump and filter with a 1/2" PVC pipe using a union in the middle for ease in taking the thing apart.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the thing and it is working better than my wildest dreams......... Well,, maybe not my wildest dreams because they involve a bowling ball, Vintage Linda Ronstadt "record", 2 Q-Tips, a brake shoe from a 1957 Oldsmobile Starfire and a duck.

But it is working perfectly and I couldn't be happier. Well, yes I could but I can't talk about that here. :grimacing-face:

I stirred up the gravel here. The entire job was about an hour not counting going to Home Depot.

Speaking of Home Depot. When I came out of the store this guy approaches me saying "Sir...Oh Sir". So I know he is going to ask for money.

He tells me he is 58 years old and has no money. They just turned off his "Cable" and his kids are going nuts. Meanwhile the guy is dressed better than me and has about 2 pounds of gold chains around his neck one of them is big enough to secure a bicycle with.

And he has CABLE.
I told him being that it is near Christmas I will give you two bucks. He says, can I do any better?
I said listen, you really need to come up with a better line and get rid of those gold chains (or sell them and get rid of cable.

I said Take it or leave it. He said, i will shut up now. I said..Good Idea.

Prototype runnig..JPG

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to tilt it up side down to completely empty it but not to run it, start it, or back flush it.
It runs just like the old diatom filters but seems much easier to start.

This pump is all plastic so nothing to rust.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my test it looks like some of the diatom powder is getting through the 30 micron filter so I ordered some 5 micron filter cartridges for a test.
I knew there would be some tweeking to do.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my test it looks like some of the diatom powder is getting through the 30 micron filter so I ordered some 5 micron filter cartridges for a test.
That was my hypothesis as well. I personally think you need a 1 micron to use with diatom powder. 5 um is still too big.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, people dont tweek now, they twerk.

That old company, I bought one of the last new filters that I found on eBay and the micron bag inside fell apart. That company made the worst quality stuff and they were around since the phonograph was invented, (I hope you see where I am going with this)

Can you please start manufacturing these knock-off upgraded Diatom Dust Buster Filters for Aquariums in your garage so that the reefing community can have these amazing units and you can live forever making them?

:cool:

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea, Paul. I am curious why you arranged the pump to be essentially sucking water through the filter rather than pushing water through the filter.

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul do you put the whole filter in your tank. If so why do you not extend the intake tube further out so you just put the pump in the tank

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea, Paul. I am curious why you arranged the pump to be essentially sucking water through the filter rather than pushing water through the filter.
It needs to suck the water out to keep the diatom powder against the filter cartridge. If the pump pushes water in the powder will just swirl around the housing. That’s how vortex worked.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kris, I never thought about building these as a business. They are so simple to build that I feel anyone can do it.

Miami, the 5 micron may be to big as you say and I knew that when I got the 30 micron. But I wanted to start somewhere. If the 5 don't work I will go to the 1 micron but I feel that may restrict the water to much so this is just a test.

Blumberg, I am running it the same way the old Diatom filters ran. If you pump the water into the canister that puts high pressure on the canister and the pump especially as it clogs. This way as it clogs it just makes more vacuum which is safer and less chance of leaks.

Trainbob, the filter sits on the floor. It is much to big to put in the tank and no reason to.

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it Paul make them! I’d buy one from you especially that you a NYer like myself! Lol. Yes very simple to make but some people are not handy or just plain lazy lol! For years I have been trying to locate a decent used vortex and as you know nothing out there. I have always used them on all my tanks for over 30 years. Always wondered why none of the big aquarium companies didn’t buy the patent and manufacture and sell. Now with Amazon, eBay and so on marketing it will be a no brainer!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d mount everything to a Plastic Cutting Board. That way you can carry everything thing over to a sink.
Yeah, one of those with a handle might provide a useful upgrade to the first version.

I am too lazy to make one myself which is why I am going to reach out to Paul and ask him to make one, but with a steam punk theme for Xmas! I always ask Santa for something at this time of year!
:D Ho, ho ho and stuff.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evil1 The patent for the Vortex Diatom filter ran out decades ago. I have been using them since the 60s.

This model I am making is supposed to have the motor mounted on top of the filter housing. There are a few things to work out first but in either case, I want it to work very well and be easy to clean before I make the final model.

The problem with the pump on the top is that the slightest amount of air in it stops it. That was one big problem with the Vortex model. This is fun and I will perfect the thing. I just need a little time. Remember I put this together in less than an hour. :)

Steve, I do carry everything over to the sink. Only the hoses need to go in the sink, not the entire filter and the outside of the unit doesn't get wet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back