DIY Diatom Filter for under $100.00

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I made a couple for myself and they don't need diatom powder because I use a 5 micron filter. I do not sell them

You made other things too Paul...

Like my precious.
 
Can you follow up? I have a real hard time getting it Primed and starting it . The water does not want to come over the Tank rim
Freenow, did you buy the canister housing with the blue air bleed valve on the top like I show in the picture?



That lets the air out so the thing fills completely.

 
Freenow, did you buy the canister housing with the blue air bleed valve on the top like I show in the picture?



That lets the air out so the thing fills completely.

I do have a bleed valve on the top. I still had issues . I will pull it out and try again . Will let you know
 
OK. I am not sure why it wouldn't work as long as you get the air out and you don't have the intake and outflow reversed. The outflow goes to the pump.
 
OK. I am not sure why it wouldn't work as long as you get the air out and you don't have the intake and outflow reversed. The outflow goes to the pump.
It did not work for two reasons . 1) my tubing is too flexible , and it kinks on both lines when its in the mood . Right a the inlet of the filter . and halfway down the outlet side . Also , and the biggest problem which was part of it all along . The aeration /purging screw wont seal allowing air to be sucked in . Once I stood on my head and had my tongue hanging out to the west I worked so I have to figure out how to correct the purge valve issue which is complicated since it still has to be used so cant do a permanent fix unless you have an idea its maybe a 1/8 thread maybe metric
 
I was going to buy a different canister that uses the same filters as I have bought 6 more. In my search I discovered that the valve is intended to release pressure to make changing the filter easier. Not as a purge like on a jet pump that I am familiar with. I blocked it just using Teflon. I think the air will filter it self out. I made changes but will try tomorrow as a bottle of wine was calling my name like a siren
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new