Help me please nitrate rising

PMorgan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
If someone could please give some advise to make my nitrates go down instead of up
I have a 90 gallon display with 30 gallon sump
I have dragons breath in the sump and about a week ago I put an algae scrubber down there
This morning my numbers are
Calcium 405
Dkh 9.1
Phosphate .02
Nitrate 18.1
PH 8.3
salinity 35 ppt
Temp 77.5

All stays very steady except for nitrate is raises a couple points every few days

I dose Randy’s recipe 1 part a and b on auto dosing running 24/7 I have a skimmer it looks like tea I have a roller mat the sump is very clean not a lot of detritus in there
Was doing vinegar as well but turned that off since I have cyano I do suck it out all the time and it comes back the next day
Should I go back to vinegar should i take out the dragons breath?
What shall I do ?
Thanks so much
IMG_5079.jpeg

Last edited:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old / new is your tank?

Nitrate of 18 isn't really that high? :) What is your concern- apart from the number itself..

I am running between 15-25 in mine but I am not chasing it one bit. Phosphate maxes out in my tank at about 0.05 ppm.

Anyhow, do your water changes- and feed less! Stop dosing any nitrate removers and address the problem before adding it to your tank!

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your corals showing signs of not liking the higher Nitrate? if not, let it be and just keep an eye on them. They will show you when they are not happy. If you really want to, do a 20% water change.

OP
OP
PMorgan

PMorgan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cyano that I can not get to go away and ugly diatoms on my rocks
So should I dose phosphate to bring them more in balance I’m afraid the phosphate is higher cause of the cyano and the ugliness in the rocks

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do water changes and feed less.
I have cyano that I can not get to go away and ugly diatoms on my rocks
So should I dose phosphate to bring them more in balance I’m afraid the phosphate is higher cause of the cyano and the ugliness in the rocks
Patience my fried, patience! Don't just dose this and that, take it easy! Your tank looks quite new; give it time!

If you want to do anything, maintain a good water change regiment! Husbandry such as sand cleaning etc. should keep you well busy instead of playing crazy scientist :)

Be mindful of what goes in your tank; it might seem the easy solution here and now- seldom is down the road.

OP
OP
PMorgan

PMorgan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was started February 2023. I feed them twice a day frozen LRS I can’t tell if that’s to much or not enough cause they are all starving at the glass all the time
I also does Live Phyto nightly

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was started February 2023. I feed them twice a day frozen LRS I can’t tell if that’s to much or not enough cause they are all starving at the glass all the time
I also does Live Phyto nightly
Yeah, that's a fairly new tank allright! :) Just give it time, it will settle allright. Stay on top of your water changes.

What is your water change schedule just now?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scrubber and refugium will work so long as phosphates are not 0 (which they could be given the error range of test kits.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t. I replace when I need to to keep my salinity where it needs to be
I do clean the sand through a filter sock weekly
Start with 10% every week :) You'll see a difference.. It's just good practice! Ditch the chemicals you dose and spend the money on salt instead..

Down the line as your tank gets more mature you can revisit this.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to how you test your nitrate and phosphate. Which test kits do you use?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But yeah, just start doing those water changes! :) Give this a watch; there's tons of information on the subject on YouTube.

Do your 10% a week- and buy some patience off Amazon while you're add it ;) Ditch your 'shortcut chemicals'- there's no easy way to success sadly!

OP
OP
PMorgan

PMorgan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But yeah, just start doing those water changes! :) Give this a watch; there's tons of information on the subject on YouTube.

Do your 10% a week- and buy some patience off Amazon while you're add it ;) Ditch your 'shortcut chemicals'- there's no easy way to success sadly!
I will give it a try @CasperOe
Thanks for chatting with me

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never feed the fish less. That is the only way that your corals are getting building blocks. Don't cut import, raise export.

More sand - like 3 inches - can develop anoxic bacteria that will eventually lower no3 as the turn the no3 into N gas and complete the nitrogen cycle. This does take months.

Your dinos and cyano can get nitrogen and phosphorous from many other forms besides no3 and po4 and they can thrive with .1 no3 and 1 ppb of po4. They are on your rocks because they got their first and nothing else wants to displace them - this is a new thing since dry/dead rock came into the hobby. Diverse rocks can help - a live rock pack from Florida can help more than most other things.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back