Help me save my pet stores corals

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about a year ago a pet store from a nearby town opened up a pet store in my town. I've been buying odds and ends stuff from them periodically and they know that I am a reef keeper. So they asked me to help plumbing their drain and supply lines in their saltwater display tanks. I helped them and got their system flowing. I told them they would need rodi water, protein skimmers, and briefed them on water testing as well as water changes...
Well they didn't take any of my advice, used municipal tap water and little to no filtration and stocked it. I went in there the other day and they asked me to do whatever I can to save their corals and cunsult them and maintain their tanks for store credit and wholesale pricing.

But that's beside the point. Their corals we're all covered completely in algea, very bleached, and receded. So I told them that I had to take all of their corals home, clean them, get them in good clean water and hope for the best. I have a coral invert only tank all running, so it is easy for me. All I have done so far was bring them home, and very carefully with a toothbrush clean off as much of the algea as possible, rinse them and placed them in my frag tank.

So, aside from what I have already done, is there anything else I need to do?

Most of the corals were and still are pretty unidentifiable but mostly lps of some nature, so iicant really look up any species specific guides or info. Maybe acans, or lobos. And there was also a little crab as well that was stuck to one of the rocks, look like an emerald crab.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks fellas

OP
OP
C

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh duh, I forgot to upload the photos of what everything looks like now in my little frag tank. It's a little cloudy from shuffling some sand around.

IMG_20180726_191411441_HDR.jpg

WillB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep a very close eye on your calc alk and mag after adding so many corals at once to a tank! Also I’m curious what is that big tube on the left?!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep a very close eye on your calc alk and mag after adding so many corals at once to a tank! Also I’m curious what is that big tube on the left?!
That's a heater

I would turn off all white light and just run them under blues for a while to keep stress down to a minimum, going from a dirty tank to a cleaner tank will be stressful enough as it is.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

WillB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also depending on the light they were under they may have to be acclimated. If they skimped on everything else I wouldn’t be surprised if they had them under T8s

WillB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a heater

I would turn off all white light and just run them under blues for a while to keep stress down to a minimum, going from a dirty tank to a cleaner tank will be stressful enough a it is.

Good Luck!

I thought it was a plastic tube full of sand! Oh man..

OP
OP
C

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a heater ;) and they were using a Chinese black box about 3 inches off the water. I do have all the test kits and some of Randy's diy dosing recipes for handling alk and calcium. The light I am using is an ai prime so I will turn down the whites like you said. That makes sense. Thank you so far for the help!!!

Edit-. Should I move the corals away from the heater so they don't get burned from it? Or is that not a worry. I haven't had to put this much stuff on this tank before

WillB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that as long as you have decent flow you won’t have to worry about being too close to the heater. I don’t know air prim. Is that LED? After they settle a little maybe try feeding some of the LPS? I’m just guessing. I’ve only once had a coral that far gone. It was a Duncan I had a while back with 10 heads I grew from 1. Neglected the tank for a while though and it fell from a rock into a part of the tank it didn’t like. Covered in algae too because I was still in college. I eventually started paying attention again and moved it into more light and flow and it healed completely in a month or so. Algae took longer to leave it though

WillB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyps were completely gone though. I thought it was dead rock and it healed. Coral is tougher than we give it credit for

OP
OP
C

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that as long as you have decent flow you won’t have to worry about being too close to the heater. I don’t know air prim. Is that LED? After they settle a little maybe try feeding some of the LPS? I’m just guessing. I’ve only once had a coral that far gone. It was a Duncan I had a while back with 10 heads I grew from 1. Neglected the tank for a while though and it fell from a rock into a part of the tank it didn’t like. Covered in algae too because I was still in college. I eventually started paying attention again and moved it into more light and flow and it healed completely in a month or so. Algae took longer to leave it though

Stupid auto correct, ai prime lol. And that is good news about your guys' corals. That gives me hope . And theyre is a decent flow, a Cobalt mj1200 with a coast to coast over flow and a corner overflow. A little all in one tank that I built. I am just excited to see it being used and putting it to the test!! You think spot feeding the lps some mysis shrimp is good, I also have lrs reef frenzy.

WillB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid auto correct, ai prime lol. And that is good news about your guys' corals. That gives me hope . And theyre is a decent flow, a Cobalt mj1200 with a coast to coast over flow and a corner overflow. A little all in one tank that I built. I am just excited to see it being used and putting it to the test!! You think spot feeding the lps some mysis shrimp is good, I also have lrs reef frenzy.

I don’t know that it actually would make a difference but in my head I’d go with the reef frenzy because the smaller particles will be easier for the corals to bring in to their mouths vs a shrimp? What do you think?

OP
OP
C

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with the reef frenzy. I can suck up the small pieces when I make my morning mashup for my display and give it to the corals aftet they start sending out their feeding tentacles. This usually happens right before night or during the night for most lps correct?

WillB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with the reef frenzy. I can suck up the small pieces when I make my morning mashup for my display and give it to the corals aftet they start sending out their feeding tentacles. This usually happens right before night or during the night for most lps correct?

They might not put out any if things are as bad as you say but in my experience if you spray a little over them they will take what they need. As for night or day it depends on what it is. Chalice is the only coral so far I haven’t been able to get to eat during the day

OP
OP
C

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been a few days with them all in my little tank, I can identify a few of them, the obvious ones. I see a couple zoanthid frags, a pretty decent Duncan, couple of trumpets, and a nice looking feather duster. I think the orange and green one next to the feather duster is a type of anemone, not sure which kind. I think the big one in the back is some sort of lather. As for the other lps, I am not sure, one looks like an acan maybe, and a few look like favias, and a couple dead lobos. I would like to know what the green bubbly mushroom looking one is.
If anyone can help id any of these, please let me know, I would appreciate it.

Also some of the green hair is coming back, should I pull them out again and clean them to remove as much of the green hair, or just let it go for a bit longer

IMG_20180729_114416584.jpg

IMG_20180729_114356107.jpg

IMG_20180729_114441894.jpg

IMG_20180729_114436827_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180729_114334689.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back