Help me set up sump plsssss

lolaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running a eheim pro 4+ canister filter attached a uv sterilizer to it , 2 jebao wave makers, and heater . I want to set up a sump I have bought a 20 gal one and a protein skimmer with some pond pumps not sure if I need both but got them off of marketplace so cheap for $30 how do I set this up. Also how do make sure I dont get flooded if I ever loose power ? My tank is not drilled so it will need to hang not sure how that would work any info will be greatly appreciated!

IMG_6519.jpeg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need an overflow to bring water from the tank to the sump. A pump to return water to tank. Tank isnt drilled so your only options are to drill it or get a hob overflow. I am not fond of hob overflows therefore I cant not recommend one. IMO all hob overflow will eventually fail, I have seen eshoppes and another brand fail in person. I have seen a lot of diy hob overflows on youtube but the couple I have copied dont work anywhere near how they say and will still fail eventually. If you are asking how to set this up I am guessing diy route isnt for you. Maybe someone will chime in on a "good" hob that will work for you. Then we can address how to set up the rest.

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend sticking to what you have for now. I've run a marine tank on a cannister for years in the past with no issues. I cleaned the cannister out every week to keep nutrients low as cannister filters are a nitrate factory. Best thing to do is save for a new setup thats already drilled with a sump. Saves money long term and also saves and failures that would come along from a hob or and DIY equipment of sump changes you would do with what you have at the moment. If you still want to go ahead with what you have I can recommend best procedure for what you have.

OP
OP
L

lolaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend sticking to what you have for now. I've run a marine tank on a cannister for years in the past with no issues. I cleaned the cannister out every week to keep nutrients low as cannister filters are a nitrate factory. Best thing to do is save for a new setup thats already drilled with a sump. Saves money long term and also saves and failures that would come along from a hob or and DIY equipment of sump changes you would do with what you have at the moment. If you still want to go ahead with what you have I can recommend best procedure for what you have.
Ok thanks what do you recommend me changing in canister every week I usually just change the floss and rinse everything out in a small container of aquarium water is that sufficient enough just don’t want a crash everything looks good but I do feel like it can be clearer .

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks what do you recommend me changing in canister every week I usually just change the floss and rinse everything out in a small container of aquarium water is that sufficient enough just don’t want a crash everything looks good but I do feel like it can be clearer .
Yh do exactly that. Nothing more you can do really with a canister filter.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food for thought, you might see an oil film on the surface of the water overtime.... without anything "skimming" the water surface its to be expected.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest way to re do a tank, is to put the new tank in a different place, that way you can get it up and running for about 6 months prior to transferring things over.
Are there any local clubs in your area?
Do you have a friend that has a nice setup that you can look at, he can show you how to fail safe your sump.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running a eheim pro 4+ canister filter attached a uv sterilizer to it , 2 jebao wave makers, and heater . I want to set up a sump I have bought a 20 gal one and a protein skimmer with some pond pumps not sure if I need both but got them off of marketplace so cheap for $30 how do I set this up. Also how do make sure I dont get flooded if I ever loose power ? My tank is not drilled so it will need to hang not sure how that would work any info will be greatly appreciated!

IMG_6519.jpeg
Not sure how I feel about hanging this sump to your tank, especially since your DIY. There's a PVC connection on the side of that, if anything maybe have a drain from your tank via a PVC pipe to that sump, if that connection can be used. If done correctly I feel it could be a nice complete setup with the UV sterilizer. When you setup the sump and before completely filling it with water, you'll have to turn off your pumps, let the water drain into the sump with no power, mark that line. Just keep adding a little more water till you get to where you want in your sump, maybe an inch or so down. That will be your max fill line, that way you know if the power gets cut, the tank will only drain to that level in the sump. When you turn the pumps back on the water will go back into your tank and you'll know the water fill level in your sump, you can get a float attachment for this or simply mark it, whatever works for you. Also I'd check the specs on those pond pumps, some of them are not made for salt water, they might work for a little bit but eventually might send slight shocks in the water, you'll feel it if you put your hand in and its not good for your fish, the last thing you want to do is kill your fish trying to save money on a pump.

OP
OP
L

lolaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how I feel about hanging this sump to your tank, especially since your DIY. There's a PVC connection on the side of that, if anything maybe have a drain from your tank via a PVC pipe to that sump, if that connection can be used. If done correctly I feel it could be a nice complete setup with the UV sterilizer. When you setup the sump and before completely filling it with water, you'll have to turn off your pumps, let the water drain into the sump with no power, mark that line. Just keep adding a little more water till you get to where you want in your sump, maybe an inch or so down. That will be your max fill line, that way you know if the power gets cut, the tank will only drain to that level in the sump. When you turn the pumps back on the water will go back into your tank and you'll know the water fill level in your sump, you can get a float attachment for this or simply mark it, whatever works for you. Also I'd check the specs on those pond pumps, some of them are not made for salt water, they might work for a little bit but eventually might send slight shocks in the water, you'll feel it if you put your hand in and its not good for your fish, the last thing you want to do is kill your fish trying to save money on a pump.
Just bought a eshopps hob overflow I’m gonna set it up DIY style lol I hate this canister filter

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a eshopps hob overflow I’m gonna set it up DIY style lol I hate this canister filter
I’m not the biggest fan of canister filters myself but they work great for others. Would like to see the final product once you’re done!

sophiagrace17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To prevent flooding during power outages, consider using a backup power source such as a battery backup or generator for pumps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back