Help me start my tank the right way!

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Im getting back in the hobby after 15 years and want to start the right way!
I live in Elburn area and I'm looking to add some established LR to my new tank that only has dry rock. (for seeding purposes)
I will bring you piece of dry rock for replacement or can pay. (I'm looking for healthy LR no pests or algae)

Thanks!
Mike.

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Im getting back in the hobby after 15 years and want to start the right way!
I live in Elburn area and I'm looking to add some established LR to my new tank that only has dry rock. (for seeding purposes)
I will bring you piece of dry rock for replacement or can pay. (I'm looking for healthy LR no pests or algae)

Thanks!
Mike.
Hi Mike,
Welcome back! I may not be able to help you with your LR request but I can make a couple of good suggestions. Like you, I recently got back in the hobby. Not only did I forget a lot of stuff but things have changed a bit as well.
The biggest piece of advice that I can give (that I wish I had followed myself when I got back in the hobby) is get yourself some copepods and phytoplankton! This ounce of prevention will save you from a whole range of headaches.
There's actually a guy here on Reef2Reef that sells quality stuff for less than name brand stores like Algae Barn, etc.
Send a PM to @Eldredge. I recently bought some from him and I am super happy!

Also, there is a meet coming up soon... let me find the flyer.

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go...

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After thinking about your request some more, may I suggest that you watch this series. It's lengthy but it goes WAY beyond the nitrogen cycle and talks about the best way to start a new SW tank...
The first video is an hour long and is more of a summary of the experiment. Not really necessary to watch. Fell free to skip that and start on EP 1. FWIW, I watched all of these (even the hour long summary) and I highly recommend it.

For some reason, this link is not working as intended. To get to the playlist, first expand the video to the youtube page, then scroll down and click the following link from the comments...
1674598146520.png

OP
OP
wisnia99

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go...
Thanks!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back