Calcium 480
Alk 8.5
Mag 1450
Nitrates 0.5
Phosphates 0.3
Ph 8.15
Sal 1.026
Temp 78.5

the calcium is high because I use reef crystals which has high calcium to start with but since things seem to be going fine in my tank, I’ve just been trying to maintaining at those numbers.

I started out using only kalk to maintain them but…
Here’s the problem:

If I dose enough kalk to maintain alk at 8.5 my calcium starts to shoot upward. If I lower my dosage to maintain calcium at 480, my alkalinity starts dropping by about .5dkh per day.

The consumption just doesn’t seem to be in balance however I didn’t think it should be possible for them to be that far off.

the only way I’ve been able to fix this is to dose both kalk and about 7mls extra of soda ash every day.

I’m mostly hoping someone can double check what I’m doing and let me know if I’m going about this the wrong way.

I have considered switching to All For Reef because I’ve read on a Reddit forum that it helps to balance things out once your tank hits whatever numbers are stable for it.

Can folks help me understand this?
Is it my acros growing that are consuming extra alk?

thanks so much!

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks.
So my tank is currently:
50gal mixed reef
Calcium 480
Alk 8.5
Mag 1450
Nitrates 0.5
Phosphates 0.3
Ph 8.15
Sal 1.026
Temp 78.5

the calcium is high because I use reef crystals which has high calcium to start with but since things seem to be going fine in my tank, I’ve just been trying to maintaining at those numbers.

I started out using only kalk to maintain them but…
Here’s the problem:

If I dose enough kalk to maintain alk at 8.5 my calcium starts to shoot upward. If I lower my dosage to maintain calcium at 480, my alkalinity starts dropping by about .5dkh per day.

The consumption just doesn’t seem to be in balance however I didn’t think it should be possible for them to be that far off.

the only way I’ve been able to fix this is to dose both kalk and about 7mls extra of soda ash every day.

I’m mostly hoping someone can double check what I’m doing and let me know if I’m going about this the wrong way.

I have considered switching to All For Reef because I’ve read on a Reddit forum that it helps to balance things out once your tank hits whatever numbers are stable for it.

Can folks help me understand this?
Is it my acros growing that are consuming extra alk?

thanks so much!

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s perfect! Thank you for the link.

This is how I ended up rebalancing...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back