Help me understand alk consumption.

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so before my ALK and calcium went down quicker per day. I've added more corals and been dosing a bit but now everything seems to sit kinda where it's at and a bit more stable. Does something else come into play for how much daily ALK and calcium corals uptake? Like temps, feeding and things like that.
Screenshot_20210827-154426.png
Screenshot_20210827-154400.png

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH and alk levels impact consumption, as can disrupting corals.

I'd just keep watching and observing and not worry about small changes. :)
I'm not worried about it I just don't want to test everyday and it drops really low. When my ALK was bigger they would take more in quicker when it sits where it sits at it's pretty much stable. I added more corals and nothing really changed. So i should be ok with texting about weekly right?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not worried about it I just don't want to test everyday and it drops really low. When my ALK was bigger they would take more in quicker when it sits where it sits at it's pretty much stable. I added more corals and nothing really changed. So i should be ok with texting about weekly right?

Yes, weekly alk testing seems reasonable, and less frequent calcium.

Nitrate declining adds alk, so nitrate moving up or down substantially can alter the apparent alk demand as well.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, weekly alk testing seems reasonable, and less frequent calcium.

Nitrate declining adds alk, so nitrate moving up or down substantially can alter the apparent alk demand as well.
Makes perfect sense. Because when I'm nitrates we're much higher that's when i was getting the most daily consumption

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes perfect sense. Because when I'm nitrates we're much higher that's when i was getting the most daily consumption

In that case, it wasn't necessarily use by corals, but just the formation of the nitrate. If nitrate has stabilized (at any level), you may see less demand for a long time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back