Help me understand carbon dosing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am coming back to salt water tanks after a decade break. A lot has changed and my plans involve using the triton method from the start.

My tank is a 220 gallon and I have the proper sump configuration already set in place.

I keep seeing references to carbon dosing and using vodka and/or vinegar. At first I thought vodka was code for something but it appears to be actual vodka like what you drink.

So, can someone help me with understanding why we do this? Whats the purpose? Any benefit of vodka over vinegar? What prompts you to start or stop this kind of dosing?

Just trying to learn what I can BEFORE I start up my tank so that my aquatic friends dont have to pay the price for my ignorance.

Thanks....

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that you may have posted this thread in the wrong section. The idea is to add a source of organic carbon; sugar, alcohol, vinegar to feed bacteria that consume nitrates and phosphate and then export those elements via protein skimming out the bacteria that have absorbed those elements. It is one way of dealing with heavy bio-loads. Obviously you need to do your homework on it and there are plenty of threads that lay it all out for you.

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that you may have posted this thread in the wrong section. The idea is to add a source of organic carbon; sugar, alcohol, vinegar to feed bacteria that consume nitrates and phosphate and then export those elements via protein skimming out the bacteria that have absorbed those elements. It is one way of dealing with heavy bio-loads. Obviously you need to do your homework on it and there are plenty of threads that lay it all out for you.
Thanks for the reply. I will do more searching on the subject matter. I posted here because I wanted to understand the use of this type of carbon dosing in a Triton method tank and if there were any nuances that are specific to the Triton method.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I will do more searching on the subject matter. I posted here because I wanted to understand the use of this type of carbon dosing in a Triton method tank and if there were any nuances that are specific to the Triton method.
The Triton Method does not incorporate Carbon dosing as a form of nutrient reduction, it uses a macro algae based refugium instead. Carbon dosing is not compatible with macro alage because it will out compete the algae for nutients. I'm personally switching over from a fuge with chaeto over to carbon dosing because the algae makes a mess in my tank and requires more maintenance than I care to give.
Also, there's a search tool in the upper right hand part of the front page, very handy for reading up on the basics that have been covered repeatedly over the years.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing is not compatible with macro alage because it will out compete the algae for nutients.

Not entirely true; there are a lot of variables at play such as tank size, bio load, volume of carbon dosing, types/volume of macros, lighting, etc. Your point is valid, carbon dosing 'can' absorb available nutrients at rapid rates thus preventing your macros from thriving, but by no means is this guaranteed to happen.

I will do more searching on the subject matter.

That being said, by todays standards vinegar and vodka are considered old school, although many reefers do still go this route. Bio pellets are the new thing in carbon dosing. They require a reactor to tumble them which activates the pellets and feeds the bacteria the same way vinegar/vodka would. Only difference is pellets don't require daily dosing, but simply tuning the reactor and letting them do their thing... less daily maintenance.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not entirely true; there are a lot of variables at play such as tank size, bio load, volume of carbon dosing, types/volume of macros, lighting, etc. Your point is valid, carbon dosing 'can' absorb available nutrients at rapid rates thus preventing your macros from thriving, but by no means is this guaranteed to happen.
I completely disagree, please show me an established tank of any size or bioload that follows a conventional carbon dosing regimen paired with a thriving and growing colony of macro algae. It doesn't exist.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely disagree, please show me an established tank of any size or bioload that follows a conventional carbon dosing regimen paired with a thriving and growing colony of macro algae. It doesn't exist.

I promise you it does, I have one, and I've seen many, but this has nothing to do with the OP. Happy Reefing.

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea do your homework before trying any of these methods.
All will take time to be successful. But all have been proven to work.

To me it's just a matter of getting the enough bacteria.
I been Volka dosing for about 3 years now and found it easy to control.
Took me 6-9mo to get the right load.
Since each tank is different all I have to say is take it slow and stick to what ever you choose for a year before giving up.

250mixreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me be the first to say welcome back.There have been many advances in the last 10 yrs.i I don't have any experience with the Triton method and I cannot comment on its effects with carbon dosing.Carbon dosing is used to increase the population of bacteria that consume nutrients in your aquarium that you want to control. In my experience with vinegar dosing it's very effective controlling nitrates not so much with phosphates. Both of these you want to keep an eye on to control nuisance algae. Of course there's no guarantee.my system with vinegar dosing runs undetectable nitrates and elevated phosphates with little nuisance algae and a refugium with macro algae that I harvest about a half gallon a month. in my experience phosphates needs to be controlled with a multi step approach such as a refugium / gfo ( which has its own issues) and water change. You will get a lot of advise here some good some bad. Take your time rapid changes are a reefs worst enemy.Its very difficult to be proactive in this hobby.Read up and fight each battle as it comes. Good luck!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back