Help me understand my params!

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me understand what is going on here. I recently set up a 40b after a short hiatus and am looking to do things right. The tank got wet on Feb 7, 2021, but I had been cycling the rock in a brute for a couple months before then. I am at a point where I am starting to add more expensive corals and thought I should check all of my params before they got here.

Here is where things get interesting. I see no signs of coralline growth yet and only have a few LPS corals and nems, but my Alk consumption seems off. Tank inhabitants are:

2 x Clarkii clown
Melanarus Wrasse
Small Tomini Tang (will be moving to a 120)
Green Hammer
Gold Hammer
Octospawn
Duncan
Tiny Hydnophora frag
2 x Haddoni Carpets

My Params (checked a few minutes ago)

pH - 8.0 (Seneye)
Cal - 440 (Red Sea Coral Pro)
Alk - 5.7 (Hanna dkH)
Mag - 1350 (Aqua Forest)
PO4 - 0.10 (Hanna ULR Phosphate)
NO3 - 12 (Nyos)
SG - 1.026 (Milwaukee digital refractometer)
Temp - 78.1 (Seneye and Inkbird)

I don't understand how my Alk is so low. I do weekly 20% water changes and my fresh saltwater was 8.0 Alk when I tested it today. Based on the cal and mag, the Alk should be considerably higher, shouldn't it? I have set up my doser to slowly dose a weak baked baking soda solution to slowly bring alk up over a couple days, but I would like to understand what is going on.

Please help. I have added a pic from earlier today so you can see that things seem happy and healthy and everything is open and extended.

20210319_122427.jpg

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar oddity when getting my 75 going. Alk consumption was like 1 dKH a week with zoas in it. I have no idea what caused it either, the only possibility that entered my mind was that somehow the rock was sucking it up somehow. Now, with much more coral a few of which are acro's (still small) the alk consumption is only .3 dKH a week. Thinking back, I think I had to dose it up for at least a month before stuff started being stable.
Hopefully someone has a reason, but at least now you know you aren't alone...

***Awesome Haddoni's BTW

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those corals can easily drop alk that quickly. How much alk did you add to your "weak alk solution"? Also rising no3 produces acid which lowers alk.

OP
OP
lpsouth1978

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those corals can easily drop alk that quickly. How much alk did you add to your "weak alk solution"?
I just added 4tsp of baked baking soda to 1g of RODI. I set the doser to 24 x doses/day of 39ml, meaning it will take 4 days to dose the entire gallon. Using Randy's Reef Calculator, this would be enough to raise the Alk to 11 if there was ZERO consumption. I will test again tomorrow (after 24 doses) and see where it stands. Once I get the system back up to 8.0 I will stop the doser and measure my consumption to set up dosing using Randy's recipe #1.

I am just surprised that a few corals added just a couple weeks ago would be consuming so much Alk already, while Cal and Mg seem unaffected.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back