Hi guys

Just tested my Params to fix before my sps come Friday

Kh 8
Calcium 100
Mag 1170
Phos 0.16
No3 50
Salt 1.026

Obviously I need to boost calcium and mag and stick with the nopox another couple days

What’s the max I can raise mag and calc per day , I have a nem and a few softies

Cheers for any input

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are really putting yourself behind the 8 ball here. Usually you want to demonstrate stability before moving to SPS. You need major adjustments and then time to make sure you can maintain those levels.

Your calcium measurement seems off. What salt mix are you using? What test kit? I would confirm that Ca+ measurement with a different kit before proceeding.

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to my calculations that’s 200g of mag powder to raise it 50ppm
Seems alot , the bags only 750g so I’m gonna need the full bag to get it to 1350 ish

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are really putting yourself behind the 8 ball here. Usually you want to demonstrate stability before moving to SPS. You need major adjustments and then time to make sure you can maintain those levels.

Your calcium measurement seems off. What salt mix are you using? What test kit? I would confirm that Ca+ measurement with a different kit before proceeding.
I was shocked myself
Salifert kit , salt is 8 years old same as the day I set it up

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the 100 ppm calcium is correct. It would be very hard to attain that. Are you sure you are not reading the Salifert syringe backwards? Many make that mistake.

How much titrant was added? near a full syringe is high calcium, while hardly any added tot eh color change means very low.

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rechecked calc but I’m confused the instructions say the solution begins pink - blue - purple stop
But it started blue - pink - purple and that read 335 which makes more sense than 100

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rechecked calc but I’m confused the instructions say the solution begins pink - blue - purple stop
But it started blue - pink - purple and that read 335 which makes more sense than 100
335 makes more sense to me.

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the 100 ppm calcium is correct. It would be very hard to attain that. Are you sure you are not reading the Salifert syringe backwards? Many make that mistake.

How much titrant was added? near a full syringe is high calcium, while hardly any added tot eh color change means very low.
0.67 left in syringe

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium additive says 50g raises 36ppm so need like 3 doses to get 420-430 ish

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2293.jpeg

Mag

Now 40g of calc

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to share what products you are using, your current levels, and your desired levels if you want detailed answers on dosing requirements. Most people use kalk, 2 part, or AFR these days.

Here is a calculator you can use.

It's also a work day so answers might not come immediately.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any answers on this please

We answer every question ,but you need PATIENCE. Repeating a call for help if we do not answer instantly is rude.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think you are rushing ahead and ignoring the warnings we are providing.

You tested calcium once and it was 100 ppm. Then tested again and it was 335 ppm. And said the directions were confusing.

How do you know either is correct?

I have no idea what you mean by the scales.

I suggest you use both kits on some new salt water and tell us what you find for calcium and magnesium, and what salinity you think both the tank and the new salt water are. That will help understand if the kits are giving reasonable results.

I actually think you should ignore magnesium testing for now since it is so prone to error.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salifert calcium test says to add 1 scoop of the powder Ca-1 and 0.6 ml of the liquid Ca-2 (putting the stopper at the 0.4 mark), only then do you mix.

If you just add the powder and start mixing while you drip in the Ca-2 liquid you will get confused.

This test does a change (blue to pink), then change back (pink to blue) - you add the 0.6 all at once before mixing so you aren't supposed to see the initial change - it should look like you just start with pink and get it to go back to blue.

----
If you want to have success with corals you need to test the major parameters frequently and track trends. At least once a week. Better if you do it daily for a few weeks at first at least.
You have to be clear about the testing procedure so you can know the results are valid. Don't just look at the picture at the back, read the entire test procedure to get the details.

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays params

Kh 7.3
Calc 340 ( checked twice)
Mag 1275
Po4 0.15 (missed nopox yesterday hense no change)
No3 50 (missed nopox yesterday hense no change)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 43 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back