Calcium will not go down

OceanSprayCranberry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting for a friend. He has a 300gal mixed reef that doesn’t seem to use any calcium.
He neglected checking the levels for awhile and when I checked for him it was around 520 using a Hanna checker. Salifert test won’t even turn blue after using the 1ml. His trident also shows it being around 530.

These are the averages I’ve taken the last two months. His calc reactor has been off the entire time, and we’ve been dosing only soda ash to maintain alk at 9.0. This ends up being almost 100ml in alk solution per day. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

His current params:
Alk- 8.9
Cal-532
Mag-1430
PO4-0.20
NO3-43.5

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Posting for a friend. He has a 300gal mixed reef that doesn’t seem to use any calcium.
He neglected checking the levels for awhile and when I checked for him it was around 520 using a Hanna checker. Salifert test won’t even turn blue after using the 1ml. His trident also shows it being around 530.

These are the averages I’ve taken the last two months. His calc reactor has been off the entire time, and we’ve been dosing only soda ash to maintain alk at 9.0. This ends up being almost 100ml in alk solution per day. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

His current params:
Alk- 8.9
Cal-532
Mag-1430
PO4-0.20
NO3-43.5
What animals do you have in the tank (i.e. corals, etc) - are they growing?

Assuming your test Is correct, it would mean that your corals are not using it, you're adding something else containing Ca (without knowing it). Your starting calcium level is fairly high - which may be playing a role.

Can you post the actual values (Ca and Alkalinity) over the last 3 months rather than the 'average'?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back