Help! Mushroom plague

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mea culpa for not researching it sufficiently before introducing these to my DT, but no one warned me that mushrooms ("TSA Leprechaun" = Discosoma?) are aggressive to SPS. Worse still, they reproduce like roaches, detach and spread all over over the entire DT like a locust plague.

What can I do to keep them under control?
1) I presume they'll grow back if I cut them off the rock, but is there any harm in doing that? It would make them smaller at least temporarily, right?
2) Can I inject them with something to kill them, like AptasiaX, peroxide, or lemon juice?
3) Is there any hope for scraping them off the rock without making lots more of them in the process?
4) Can placing stinging LPS like Euphyllia, Galaxea, Duncan, Acan or Favia near them keep them at bay? (Unfortunately, that wouldn't do anything for my SPS since I can't put LPS near them either.) Who is likely to be victorious in a face off - mushroom or LPS? Or would they both suffer?

Last, are these also toxic to gorgonians and clams?

I appreciate the advice!!!

OP
OP
P

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don’t need any more indestructible softies. I made the statement to indicate that they had value. And to encourage your thread activity.

Continue donating to university and consider a local reef club frag swap. Where in New Mexico do you live. I have family from Albuquerque & Los Alamo visiting for solar eclipse.
I'm in Las Cruces. I've had my aquarium since '94 and I've never been able to make contact with another aquarist in all that time, despite my efforts to do so. It doesn't help that I refuse to use FaceBook.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back