[Help] My BTA is shrinking.

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening R2R!

So, Around October I got a BTA and added it to my reef tank. It was happy where it was and slowly wondered. I was fortunate enough to be there when one day it accidentally lifted off and got sucked into my reefwave powerhead. I was able to turn it off and remove him safely with minor harm (saw a small particle of him in tank, but only the one). I put him back where he initially was, and he wondered to his new home: the side of my live rock. He has been there for months now. Around a month ago my yellow watchman and pistol shrimp moved under the same rock. My clown fish also host the anemone.

My fear is this: that it is pinned between the live rock and the substrate; the pistol shrimp and goby live under the same rock, and since anemone is under the rock, could be attacked. Lastly, I am assuming it is at risk of being irritated from the substrate.

This evening I look at my tank, and it has shrunk down FAR more than usual.

My question is this: I know we should never move an anemone to a place where we want it, as they will move if they want to. However is there a chance it's being squished by the rock and substrate and can't move? Should I move him to a place so that he can find a new home that is better suited?

This is it now:
fish.png

This is it then:
IMG_3724.jpeg

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's fine. It will relocate as it seems fit. And pistol shrimp/gobie pair shouldn't mess with it. One concern though is the age of your tank ... but that's not something you can fix, so just go with the flow and let it do its thing. If you see it shrink for long amounts of time, and its mouth opens up and stringy stuff comes up, take it out, cuz' it's dead. Otherwise, just let it do what it does.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back