Help-My Sulfates are 4003 mg/l - How ??

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ICP-MS test from Oceamo shows my Sulfates are 4003 mg/l how can i reduce it and where is it coming from?

OP
OP
J

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that I'm doing the moonshiners program and this is my first test for MS

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt mix?

Ever use a lot of Epsom salt for magnesium?

Maybe it’s a typo. Seems very high and chloride is not correspondingly low to maintain charge balance..

Any thoughts, @Christoph ?

Upvote 0

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt mix?

Ever use a lot of Epsom salt for magnesium?

Maybe it’s a typo. Seems very high and chloride is not correspondingly low to maintain charge balance..

Any thoughts, @Christoph ?

Hello!

I have checked the raw data, your sample is very rich in sulfates. There is no indication of any measurement error.

Just to make sure: We do supply a stabilizer solution with the sampling kit that needs to be added to the blue capped vial. If this solution would get added to the white capped tube by mistake, this would result in elevated sulfate levels.

@Johnic can you rule that out 100%?

Otherwise reasons for elevated sulfate are usually: 1) Inhomogenous salt mixes or salts with elevated sulfate 2) excessive dosing of epsom salts 3) usage of sulfur denitrators.

All the best,
Christoph

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have checked the raw data, your sample is very rich in sulfates. There is no indication of any measurement error.

Just to make sure: We do supply a stabilizer solution with the sampling kit that needs to be added to the blue capped vial. If this solution would get added to the white capped tube by mistake, this would result in elevated sulfate levels.

@Johnic can you rule that out 100%?

Otherwise reasons for elevated sulfate are usually: 1) Inhomogenous salt mixes or salts with elevated sulfate 2) excessive dosing of epsom salts 3) usage of sulfur denitrators.

All the best,
Christoph
Thanks Christoph.
Yes I added the solution to the blue cap vial.
I have to do another icp-Ms test in 3 weeks and hope the levels are correct next time.
Not sure why it’s elevated, I don’t use epsom salt or sulfur denitrator

Upvote 0

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton test showed 1169 mg/l.

Triton measures the atom sulfur (S) while we directly measure the sulfate anion (SO4).

You can calculate sulfate from sulfur using the following equation 3 * [sulfur value] = [sulfate value]. In your case already the triton test indicated elevated sulfur/sulfates. The 1169 mg/l of sulfur corresponds to 3507 mg/l of sulfate.

best regards,
Christoph

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton measures the atom sulfur (S) while we directly measure the sulfate anion (SO4).

You can calculate sulfate from sulfur using the following equation 3 * [sulfur value] = [sulfate value]. In your case already the triton test indicated elevated sulfur/sulfates. The 1169 mg/l of sulfur corresponds to 3507 mg/l of sulfate.

best regards,
Christoph
Where can it be coming from? I have a dino infection currently. Can it be from that ?

Upvote 0

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can it be coming from? I have a dino infection currently. Can it be from that ?
i dont see any connection to the dino outbreak.

I would get freshly mixed saltwater tested. If yoou are not dosing magnesium sulfate or using a sulfur denitrator this is the most likely cause.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get freshly mixed saltwater tested. If yoou are not dosing magnesium sulfate or using a sulfur denitrator this is the most likely cause.

I agree,

I'm also not sure if it is a problem or not.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont see any connection to the dino outbreak.

Thanks again !
Very odd.

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.3%
Back