Should I substitute Mag Flakes for Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate MgCl2.6H2O?

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WARNING: this subject may not be of interest to most here, so please feel free to ignore this post.

My current sulfate level is over 3100mg/L and continues to climb after each ICP test taken. I have been corresponding with another reefer at Polo Reef. From their experience, they say that their corals react very negatively when their sulfate level climbs up to 3200mg/L. They have worked out a way to only need to change a small fraction of their huge tank’s water volume and are then able to lower the sulfate level significantly. Their method needs to change only 15% of their total water. They have developed a very specialized list of ingredients to make their salt water changes greatly reduce their sulfates by using some of ESV’s special components. I was hoping to do the same.

I am told that I could purchase ESV’s 4part salt and then substitute one of its supplied parts, a bag of Magnesium Sulfate, with the same quantity of Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate MgCl2.6H2O instead to make this reduced sulfate salt.

I have now received ESV’s 4 part salt. Unfortunately, I have tried to purchase a small quantity of reagent grade of MgCl2.6H2O, but the one reasonable costed Canadian company (BioShop Canada) that I found refuses to ship this to individuals – only corporations. There were a few other sellers that I found, but others wanted over $2000 for 1Kg vs $38canadian if I could have purchased through a corporation.

I do happen to have a 50lb bag of MAG® flakes with the following specs:

MgCl2%47.343.4 – 51.2
Potassium (K)%0.050.0 – 0.14
Sodium (Na)%0.480.0 – 1.23
Sulfate (SO4)%0.640.0 – 2.45
Calcium (Ca)%0.220.0 – 0.68
H2O%51.344.3 – 56.6
Asmg/kg3.5 max
Cdmg/kg0.1 max
Pbmg/kg1.0 max

MAG® Flakes does contain a small percent of Sulfate, up to 2.45%. I am obviously not a chemist, so I am asking the chemists here if this substitution seems like a reasonable alternative.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not versed in the method in general, but using that mag flake in place of magnesium sulfate is fine.

If changing large amounts at once, check the ammonia in the new mix.

Do you know what you are doing that drove the sulfate so very, very high?

OP
OP
Rst

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using a sulphur denitrator for about 1 year. Would this cause high sulfates? I have discontinued this practice over 3 months now. My plan is to change 15% of my total water with this new salt.
I was warned that I should check my Magnesium level of this new mix with an ICP test first, just to make sure that the quantity of Magnesium Chloride that I added to make the mix was giving reasonable magnesium levels. At the same time I will find a test kit to check the ammonia level. I don't think the ICP tests for ammonia. THANKS

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using a sulphur denitrator for about 1 year. Would this cause high sulfates? I have discontinued this practice over 3 months now. My plan is to change 15% of my total water with this new salt.
I was warned that I should check my Magnesium level of this new mix with an ICP test first, just to make sure that the quantity of Magnesium Chloride that I added to make the mix was giving reasonable magnesium levels. At the same time I will find a test kit to check the ammonia level. I don't think the ICP tests for ammonia. THANKS

It will raise sulfate, but the effect is usually slow against a huge background of sulfate already present. Water changes should keep that within reason, but if you use a sulfur denitrator and do few or no water changes, then yes, sulfate can rise significantly.

2 H2O + 5 S + 6 NO3– → 3 N2 + 5 SO42- + 4 H+

To boost sulfate by 1,000 ppm, you'd need to have consumed 775 ppm. That may have happened over an extended period, but it is not a short term (few month) effect.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back