Increasing Magnesium with Fritz Mag Sulfate?

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in my LFS looking for lower cost options for dosing magnesium. The store manager advised to just use Fritz Mag Sulfate. After reading the directions, it advises the use in conjunction with Mag Flake to keep the proper balance found in NSW. So my question is, is it not advisable to use Mag Sulfate by itself to increase my Mg levels by 50-80ppm?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a single one time correction, it is fine. For regular use, sulfate may rise relative to chloride and I recommend a balanced recipe, for which I provide DIY recipes.

I see no need to buy the commercial product. USP Epsom salt from a deg store is a fine magnesium sulfate source.

OP
OP
N

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a single one time correction, it is fine. For regular use, sulfate may rise relative to chloride and I recommend a balanced recipe, for which I provide DIY recipes.

I see no need to buy the commercial product. USP Epsom salt from a deg store is a fine magnesium sulfate source.
Thank you, Randy. I’m going to pickup Mag Flake (MgCl2) today so I can just mix up a gallon to have on hand for any future adjustments that may be needed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back