Large magnesium adjustments with "2-part maintenance" mag?

ambkg21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always dosed 2 part for alkalinity (soda ash) and calcium, magnesium usually replenished just through water changes.
I'm testing magnesium, and it's now getting low and I need to start dosing (testing at 1170). Since I use 2 part, I purchased the BRS "2 part magnesium mix". This is the one that has more mag sulfate in the chloride:sulfate ratio. I'm now seeing within the instructions, that this is best for small/weekly or monthly changes, and that the general adjustments mix should be use for larger adjustments.
Am I ok to use the product I purchased, to make larger adjustments? Obviously, I'd still do fairly slowly, not going over increasing it by over 100ppm per day (per their instructions).

Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That interpretation is not exactly right. If you got low magnesium from using calcium chloride then the 5:3 is the best one to use, regardless of the size of the change. If you got there by some other way, then the 10:1 recipe is better.

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago i some how let my magnesium get down to 1100 i like to keep it at 1500, I slowly got it back up to 1500 it took me over a liter of magnesium to get it back to 1500 I couldn’t believe it, it took me about two weeks to get it there but after I got it back to 1500 everything started to grow like crazy. It was pretty amazing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back