Raising mag with aquaforest magnesium

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use aquaforest regular magnesium to raise mag 50ppm at once?
The only directions are maintenance doses to maintain mag. This is all I have on have and would like to raise my mag to 1280 from 1180 over 2 days using this product. Just want to make sure it's okay before I mix it super concentrated. Dosage is 10g per 27gals for 12mg/l. I would be mixing 40grams in 1/2 liter of rodi to dose. Will this be okay? I wonder why they say not to use this and use magplus to raise magnesium. Thanks

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, limitations on large doses of magnesium relate to concern about impurities in them being suddenly added at once, rather then spread out, allowing the tank to more slowly deal with issues such as ammonia or metals.

There's no reason to go fast, generally.
I also question whether that low value is actually real. I'd double check it before embarking on a big boost. Try the kit on some new salt water.

Might be time for RMM.

OP
OP
ReefOnTheBayou

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. I will try it on some new saltwater this afternoon.
Something that comes to mind is years ago when I used brs 2 part, if I recall correctly they said once the gallon of cal&alk was completed dump in the gallon of magnesium. (At least that was what I did) This magnesium was powder form mixed with rodi. I'm not sure if it was the same type of magnesium as this aquaforest flake type.

But wouldn't brs way of dosing it fall into the same issue you mentioned? Also would the a product like aquaforest magplus also fall into this issue? That's the one they recommend for large one time changes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that comes to mind is years ago when I used brs 2 part, if I recall correctly they said once the gallon of cal&alk was completed dump in the gallon of magnesium. (At least that was what I did)

lol

NO, that is NOT the recipe.

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

This solution is added much less frequently than the other two parts. Each time you finish adding a gallon of both parts of Recipe #1, add 610 mL (2 ½ cups) of this stock solution. You can add it all at once or over time as you choose, depending on the aquarium's size and set up. Add it to a high flow area, preferably a sump. In a very small aquarium, or one without a sump, I suggest adding it slowly.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But wouldn't brs way of dosing it fall into the same issue you mentioned? Also would the a product like aquaforest magplus also fall into this issue? That's the one they recommend for large one time changes.

The BRS way is my way (they took my recipe). I agree that spreading it out may be better than all at once, but using the exact materials I suggested with my recipe, it was not a concern. The spreading it out desire is to account for materials that may have more impurities. Daily dosing of it is even perfectly fine, if you want.

The smaller the tank is, the more important it is to spread out that 610 mL (or 305 mL using recipe 2). But 610 mL added to a 100 gallon tank only boosts magnesium by 75 ppm, so it's not a huge increase in that size tank.

OP
OP
ReefOnTheBayou

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol... sorry Randy I should have gave more context. I have several systems and the last comment was in regards to one of my large reef tanks. I did find what I did on BRS and had no issues. This was years ago so I had it wrong but same concept. They say once the gallon of alk and cal is dosed its time to dose 20ounces of the mag. 20 ounces seems like alot at once that's why I was remembering and thinking it was the gallon. Regardless I remember doing this and seen no ill effects. Maybe I'm reading it wrong also.

So.... on brs calculator page they say you can dose up to 100ppm a day for one time adjustments. Why wouldn't I be able to do this with the aquaforest at 50ppm a day?

Screenshot_20240308_123705_Chrome.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.... on brs calculator page they say you can dose up to 100ppm a day for one time adjustments. Why wouldn't I be able to do this with the aquaforest at 50ppm a day?

As I suggested in post 2, the issue is potential impurities and the general lack of any need to go fast.

You may be able to go fast without issue.

The 20 ounces is from the 610 ml I devised. :)

OP
OP
ReefOnTheBayou

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also

I will confirm my reading but that is using red sea and salifert test kits to verify. I will test with new saltwater. My red sea kit is expired but the salifert is good until late 2025.

I do dose about 5000ml of Kalk plus esv in my large system and dose 1200ml of kalk in the system that I'm working on now but I do notice these 2 systems that I dose kalk to need adjustments once every 6 to 8 months I would say.

OP
OP
ReefOnTheBayou

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I suggested in post 2, the issue is potential impurities and the general lack of any need to go fast.

You may be able to go fast without issue.

The 20 ounces is from the 610 ml I devised. :)
So if absolutely necessary to do a one time or over a few days adjustment how would you handle go about it and what would you use?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if absolutely necessary to do a one time or over a few days adjustment how would you handle go about it and what would you use?

Depends on what I could find, but BRS magnesium is a fine way to go. I'd only boost it 20 ppm per day. There's never a need to go faster.

An apparent very low value is likely a test error anyway,. lol

OP
OP
ReefOnTheBayou

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. That's what I will do if needed. As always thanks for your expertise and the knowledge you bring to the community. Much appreciated.

I may come back after my findings with testing the freshly made saltwater. From my understanding I'm looking for it to be different readings. If it's the same reading that indicates the test kits are bad? I think I have that right.

OP
OP
ReefOnTheBayou

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, when using a test kit like salifert, should I stop at the color flash (slightest color change) or stop only once it's turns completely blue and doesn't turn back to purple after several secs? From my research their are people on both sides of the fence. I just keep it consistent, stopping at the same point as I always did. That's great for trends but if I'm after a number, I could see where I might be stopping to early.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, when using a test kit like salifert, should I stop at the color flash (slightest color change) or stop only once it's turns completely blue and doesn't turn back to purple after several secs? From my research their are people on both sides of the fence. I just keep it consistent, stopping at the same point as I always did. That's great for trends but if I'm after a number, I could see where I might be stopping to early.

Stays blue for a reasonable period of time (several seconds), but not necessarily long times (5 min).

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My magnesium is currently sitting at 1280 . What does everyone run mag at ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My magnesium is currently sitting at 1280 . What does everyone run mag at ?

Some people run it unnaturally high because they think that is useful. I generally recommend around 1300 ppm.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use aquaforest regular magnesium to raise mag 50ppm at once?
The only directions are maintenance doses to maintain mag. This is all I have on have and would like to raise my mag to 1280 from 1180 over 2 days using this product. Just want to make sure it's okay before I mix it super concentrated. Dosage is 10g per 27gals for 12mg/l. I would be mixing 40grams in 1/2 liter of rodi to dose. Will this be okay? I wonder why they say not to use this and use magplus to raise magnesium. Thanks
AF Magnesium is equivalent to USP grade Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate.

Yes you can raise 50ppm in one go if you need to.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back