I been doing water changes 20% once a week
I’m using Red Sea coral pro salt

salinity 1.026
Alkalinity 9.2
Calcium 600
Magnesium 1524
Temp 77.8

IMG_7238.jpeg IMG_7236.jpeg IMG_7235.jpeg

Well, this is the SPS forum, not Softies. Your problem is you're doing too many water changes with a high level salt. Every time you do a water change, your levels keep rising as you haven't give it time to let the corals use any.

Toadstools and other Softies like a bit dirtier water. If you have all soft corals or a mix of Softies and LPS, then I would change water about once a month.

Also, keep your Mag level where you have it. LPS and Softies like a higher mag level. I would stay around 1500.

That toadstool will be fine. Don't add anything else and stop doing water chabges that often. Give it time to recover. They also do things like that from time to time so relax, it will be fine.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats happening with my my toadstool coral. help please

What should I do.
I been doing water changes 20% once a week
I’m using Red Sea coral pro salt

salinity 1.026
Alkalinity 9.2
Calcium 600
Magnesium 1524
Temp 77.8

IMG_7238.jpeg IMG_7236.jpeg IMG_7235.jpeg
What’s your nitrate and phosphate levels

OP
OP
ravalos2282

ravalos2282

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this is the SPS forum, not Softies. Your problem is you're doing too many water changes with a high level salt. Every time you do a water change, your levels keep rising as you haven't give it time to let the corals use any.

Toadstools and other Softies like a bit dirtier water. If you have all soft corals or a mix of Softies and LPS, then I would change water about once a month.

Also, keep your Mag level where you have it. LPS and Softies like a higher mag level. I would stay around 1500.

That toadstool will be fine. Don't add anything else and stop doing water chabges that often. Give it time to recover. They also do things like that from time to time so relax, it will be fine.
Thank you I really appreciate it.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Nitrite 0.009 ppm
Phosphate 0.10 ppm
Nitrate 2 ppm

thank you

IMG_7251.jpeg
Sorry just checking thought they might be bottomed out . Nitrite got a reading even that it’s small . Hopefully some members with more knowledge than me can help. Are you running carbon I know some people say start running it if you think there is a problem. Hopefully someone chimes in . Good luck

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Your Nitrate is a bit low, but that should build as you feed the fish and the tank matures and you do monthly water changes. That piece on the toadstool looks like it might have gotten into an LPS or some coral warfare. It will heal.

One of the best things to have in your toolkit with Softies and LPS is Lugol's Iodine. If you ever get any kind of brown jelly or other ailments, Lugol's Iodine will do wonders if you dip the coral in it. I usually use a whole dropper full to about 16oz of tank water and let them soak in it for about 10 minutes. It helps them kill the bacteria and heal wounds.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have stated.. I would back off on the water changes a bit and let the nutrients build just a bit. My toadstool forest loves nitrates around 15 and phos at .1. Budding weekly!

OP
OP
ravalos2282

ravalos2282

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your nitrate and phosphate level
Sorry just checking thought they might be bottomed out . Nitrite got a reading even that it’s small . Hopefully some members with more knowledge than me can help. Are you running carbon I know some people say start running it if you think there is a problem. Hopefully someone chimes in . Good luck
Yes running carbon and gfo

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes running carbon and gfo

I would get rid of that GFO unless you're having Phosphate issues, which you aren't. 0.10 is fine and is still a bit low for LPS and Toadstools. So no worries on that front. GFO will bottom out phosphates completely and fast. The carbon you can run all the time as it will help remove any of the toxins that the soft corals release.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back