help needed! black like algae hair! not sure if it harmful or not can someone with experience help!

ReefBoy8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone help is needed! I have noticed today a black hair like algae growing on my live rock! (Picture below!) a little concerned as to what it actually is? Why it’s there? How it’s there? And if it’s harmful or not? (Or part of the process I’m in) also if it needs removing or not? Or to be left alone! And lastly but not least am I worrying about nothing? (Secretly wishing I am) haha! Thanks in advance for any help guys! It will be much appreciated! :)

11CEE9FC-683B-4774-AB8A-E810546DC6DE.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone help is needed! I have noticed today a black hair like algae growing on my live rock! (Picture below!) a little concerned as to what it actually is? Why it’s there? How it’s there? And if it’s harmful or not? (Or part of the process I’m in) also if it needs removing or not? Or to be left alone! And lastly but not least am I worrying about nothing? (Secretly wishing I am) haha! Thanks in advance for any help guys! It will be much appreciated! :)

11CEE9FC-683B-4774-AB8A-E810546DC6DE.jpeg
Might be a cyanobacteria. New aquaria grow all sorts of things.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dan_P do you know if it needs removing or just let it be? Just stuck on what to do that’s all thanks for any more advice..
I am a bit of a neat freak and would remove it. If the rocks are easily removable, I would take them out and swish them in salt water to dislodge the stuff and then return them to the tank. I would do this for a 2-4 weeks before resorting to more drastic means. If you can‘t take out the rocks, you could try blowing it off with a turkey baster, tedious but it might work. You could also buy a small powerhead (100-300 gal/hr) and use it instead of the turkey baster to blast the stuff off.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back