Help new nano tank

jphillips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently started a new nano tank and I'm having trouble with my ai prime settings

tank: mr. aqua 12 gallon long, tank dimensions are 36''x 8'' x 6''
light: ai prime
filtration: 5g sump with refugium, sm filter sock, carbon, chemi-pur blue
hydor koralia 240

livestock: skunk pseudo, ruby red dragonette, tanaka pygmy wrasse
corals: various zoas, green stylo, galaxy coral, purple poccillapora, yellow gonopora, red sun coral

water parameters:
ammonia=0
nitrite=0
nitrate= 10
salinity= 1.025
temp= 26.5 C
magnesium= 1450
calcium=520
alk= 10.6

The problem I'm having is my stylo and poccilapora are bleaching, my galaxy hasn't opened up in two days, only about half of my zoas are opening and my gonapora is half open. Currently, the ai prime is mounted about 10'' above the tank in an attempt to get a 36 inch spread but at the ends I know to put the NPS corals and low light corals while in the middle I planned on putting the sps and harder corals.
Screenshot_2015-07-14-22-18-33.png
20150714_183704.jpg
20150714_222530.jpg
20150714_222546.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! sorry missed this yesterday

Im not up to par on prime settings but our bump w help keep eyes on options that do know

my initial guess is light intensity bleaching, they need less light and more feeding as you transition them. if po4 binding as GFO or other methods are being used, they'll amplify the stress of light and intensity bleaching. my initial guess is feed a little better and lessen light intensity, an other offers team? I read you are doing just chemipure thats not too bad, i really would focus on feeding blenderized hq frozen reef food directly to the corals and re evaluating things in a mo before taking more drastic measures than photo intensity reduction which is not harmful to modulate. this causes darkening in corals when combined with high feeding and water change work. if the tank started w no stressors then we could move as is, but to increase feed and water change work is the direct hedge against not knowing whats the root cause simply because they are ideal to do anyway to a tank with no problems.

since your corals are showing some stress I wouldnt proceed as is until they are lost, id make the changes known to support corals, and algae simultaneously, and work on preventing the algae part.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back