Ashley0925

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being 5x brighter than others .
and not familiar with led lighting .
id start with it low and gradually increase intensity over time .
Your anemones will react both negatively or positively
I don’t know if I could stand it on full brightness in my living room! lol It’s like outer space bright. Currently I have it on a cycle starting at 7 am on 25% blue moonlight that gradually transitions to full blue at 8:30 then 8:30-9:00 is white/iridescent sunrise transition to eventually 50% max white then that starts back to a sunset at 6:30-7 back to blue to dark at 11pm......it’s a pretty neat setup and all in one no extra timers.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I could stand it on full brightness in my living room! lol It’s like outer space bright. Currently I have it on a cycle starting at 7 am on 25% blue moonlight that gradually transitions to full blue at 8:30 then 8:30-9:00 is white/iridescent sunrise transition to eventually 50% max white then that starts back to a sunset at 6:30-7 back to blue to dark at 11pm......it’s a pretty neat setup and all in one no extra timers

sounds pretty fancy ...

OP
OP
Ashley0925

Ashley0925

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A7E1CDB8-FA43-41E0-AC36-604CDC288154.jpeg

Here is everyone this morning eating and happy. I’m so glad I got some great info from all yesterday. Thanks again! @brandon429 @Rmckoy

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey that looks nice, wide open swimming space, low fish bioload, open corals agreed its looking great :)

pictures are always worth a thousand cycling words heh

the minor growths in the new system are visual benthic growths, cycling verifiers.

if all the rocks have spent equal time in that system, and any of them have the common new growths a bright fed reef will have, by rule of order of deposition the filter bacteria were done and ready before those growths. the filter bacteria are part of the base layer, initial layer, that supports the top growth for the things we can see as pigments, slimes, diatoms, algae etc.

we can tell your reef is totally cycled off the pic. these collective clues are how we get away with never, ever testing for ammonia or nitrite mainly out of pride and secondarily because they're always predictable in that nitrite doesn't matter, and ammonia is controlled due to several markers met other than the test levels.

at no time will a reef given time to take on new benthic growths fail in basic nh3 control, says seneye. and because all tanks behave this way, packed in wet surface area, they all trend the same for ammonia. no outliers.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A7E1CDB8-FA43-41E0-AC36-604CDC288154.jpeg

Here is everyone this morning eating and happy. I’m so glad I got some great info from all yesterday. Thanks again! @brandon429 @Rmckoy
Looks great .....
and off to a amazing start
It will only get better as it matures and grows.

Can’t wait to see a few sticks under those lights

OP
OP
Ashley0925

Ashley0925

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep everything you see minus fish/anemone were added at same time and on top of the Turbo and Live rock overkill I prob have overkill on my filtration too! Using an aqua clear sponge for my skimmer.... The BioCube has a tier in the middle with their cheapish carbon filter on top followed by what I put.....chemi pure blue sock, Biopellets, then Seachem matrix,.......what are your opinions on UV filter? BioCube has one specially for their system that just snaps online with the return pump.....maybe future or better off without

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep everything you see minus fish/anemone were added at same time and on top of the Turbo and Live rock overkill I prob have overkill on my filtration too! Using an aqua clear sponge for my skimmer.... The BioCube has a tier in the middle with their cheapish carbon filter on top followed by what I put.....chemi pure blue sock, Biopellets, then Seachem matrix,.......what are your opinions on UV filter? BioCube has one specially for their system that just snaps online with the return pump.....maybe future or better off without
In the 20 years I have never used one . At that time , there was mixed reviews whether they were good or ripped too much from the water .

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself would always own a uv in a tank that was too big for a 100% water change.

but if a total water change is not hard to get at, the uv isn't that needed its more of a cheat. if I had a large reef say 100 gallons Id have two uv's not just one, or maybe a huge pond sterilizer. I believe in access to the water to that degree, because of time spent in invasion threads where people with $5K in money are watching it get eaten away by some invader. the whole hobby trains them to leave invasions in place no matter what, and then we get them at the very end stages for the trial fix runs.

UV done right, done strong, or a water change rip clean like shown prior before total takeover could have saved so many tanks.

you can lift out just those rocks with growth, wash it off in saltwater and set them back and even mist some peroxide on them to burn it off, rinse and set back not a problem. its guiding rocks like sections of a garden that may or may not have weeds in place.

****no doubt uv is a cheat and master reefers do not need them. Picasso didn't need painting lessons... im a stickman-quality artist so Ill take total control over any chancing.

OP
OP
Ashley0925

Ashley0925

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself would always own a uv in a tank that was too big for a 100% water change.

but if a total water change is not hard to get at, the uv isn't that needed its more of a cheat. if I had a large reef say 100 gallons Id have two uv's not just one, or maybe a huge pond sterilizer. I believe in access to the water to that degree, because of time spent in invasion threads where people with $5K in money are watching it get eaten away by some invader. the whole hobby trains them to leave invasions in place no matter what, and then we get them at the very end stages for the trial fix runs.

UV done right, done strong, or a water change rip clean like shown prior before total takeover could have saved so many tanks.

you can lift out just those rocks with growth, wash it off in saltwater and set them back and even mist some peroxide on them to burn it off, rinse and set back not a problem. its guiding rocks like sections of a garden that may or may not have weeds in place.

****no doubt uv is a cheat and master reefers do not need them. Picasso didn't need painting lessons... im a stickman-quality artist so Ill take total control over any chancing.
Good to know.....Thanks

Furever Farms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran fresh water tanks for many years and just started my first salt water tank. I had it running for about 3 weeks before adding anything to it. I just added two turbo snails and a starfish. the starfish didn't move for 2 days and then looked like it was eating the snail. wrapped tight around the snail. The next day the starfish and the snail died. Petco said it was my nitrite levels. does anyone have any ideas on what I can do so this doesn't happen again

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not nitrite, search for another causative.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 71 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.3%
Back