Help, Not a Kenya Tree...Can't remember the name but it needs help.

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have this softie and I've had it for ages, I know it's not a Kenya tree but I can't remember the name for the life of me. It is HUGE, the tank is 24" deep and it almost reaches the top. There's large 6" sailfin in the picture with it in the healthy photo.

The problem I am having is one of the arms is rotting away. Looks almost burnt. Pieces are floating around here and there as well. I'm not sure what is causing it, or what to do. Do I need to amputate the bad arm? What could cause this in just the one spot/arm? The rest of the "tree" is acting normal. Could it have been stung by a fox face? Some kind of disease?

Please see the photos, hopefully they make sense. My numbers on the tank are goos other than phosphate which is high, it's always high though. I am also battling a little Cyano that came out of the blue but it isn't even in thick layers or anything.

Please help, at first I wasn't a fan of this thing but it's really grown on me over time and is really a staple in the tank.

IMG_3302.JPG
IMG_3509.JPG

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Sinularia. Grows like mad in my tank. i would just cut off the stalks you don't want. If you rubber band them to a pice of rock they will probable recover and grow again.

OP
OP
D

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Sinularia. Grows like mad in my tank. i would just cut off the stalks you don't want. If you rubber band them to a pice of rock they will probable recover and grow again.
Do you just cut it and leave it or does it need treatment? It's probably 1" in diameter or more.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine do the same thing. Got huge then like fell apart. But a bunch of branches survived and attached elsewhere.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I remember it discoloring but I’m pretty certain it just sorta melted kinda. But the bushy branch ends didn’t

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back